Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is this a good PC configuration?

PC noob here,

wondering if this build would a) work (Making sure if all the parts are compatible) and b) be able to play the latest games. ie: Crysis 2, Civ V, L.A Noire, Alan Wake, etc.

Any help/tips/advice will be greatly appreciated

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K [CPU]

EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card [GPU]

ASUS P8H61-M LX PLUS (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS [Motherboard]

Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive [Hard Drive]

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL [RAM]

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply [PSU]

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case [Case]

--------------------------------------

So is it any good? Any improvements that would help it without drastically increasing the cost (Trying to stay at or under $1,000)

Also, I've read about SSD's and was wondering if it is really necessary or will I get by without it? Main reason for my hesitation is the price of SSD's drive with a decent amount of space.

Thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Mark N
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You need to drop the RE4 hard drive and go with a black Western Digital drive... The 1Tb 6.0Gb/sec 64mb cache is the way to go... They boot up from a cold start to desktop in 20 seconds and are much more reliable than many drives on the market, including SSD...

The bad thing about SSD is even though they have 1billion served, they have 750million mad customers... SSD is a disposable drive that was built on speed promises but very bad reliability...

Replace the H61 motherbaord, you cannot overclock a "k" cpu on a H61 motherboard, if you are going with that motherboard, you might as well save the money and get a plain 3570... You want a z77 at least...

• LDP
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

If possible, I would definitely get an SSD as well as a HDD. The SSD can be your primary drive which stores your operating system and program files and then HDD can be your secondary drive for personal files/documents, such as films, music, photos, etc.

SSDs are far superior to HDDs in terms of speed, since they utilise flash memory in place of the spinning disks and heads, and therefore they have far greater read speeds, which will significantly cut down the time to open files/boot up the computer/load maps or game rounds.

Since you will only be storing the OS and programs/games on the SSD, you can opt to go for 240GB or even 128GB.

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Your constrained to a MAX of 4GB RAM utilising a 32bit domicile windows.... more advantageous than probable in case you position in 4GB's of RAM, domicile windows will in common words be waiting to apply between 2 and three gb of it.... you may favor to attempt setting up 4GB and see what's usable (proper click > homes. on 'My computing device) and if its below 3GB, then in simple terms take 1x 1GB stick out, leaving you with 3x 1GB. i comprehend you said you didnt favor to do an improve yet to income from 4+ GB ram, you'd be needing domicile windows 64bit, your present day motherboard helps upto 8GB yet is constrained by your 32bit domicile windows.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.