Mickey
Mickey asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 8 years ago

Question about transfering my OS to a SSD?

I have windows 7 64 bit home premium (OEM i believe, I am not sure because I'm at work), and I'm thinking about getting a SSD and transfering my OS into it along with some other programs. I still have the disk for my windows 7 OS

And I know OEM versions are basically like you can only download it once

But my question is: Can I just install the disk into the SSD instead of my Hard Drive then delete the OS on the Hard Drive?

• Alex
    Favorite Answer

OEM is exactly the same as the full version you can use it as often as you like, you just don't get all the bumpf and packaging of the full retail version.

Yes, you can do what you are intending. Remove the old hard drive, install the OS on the SSD. Set the old drive to not be primary (might need a dip setting or something) put it back in and it's just a data drive. All the OS is still there and so are your file and if your SSD carks, you can just swap the boot order for the drives back round and boot off that instead,

Source(s): Done it many times
  • alk99

The best way to do this is to "clone" the drive. That means that you are actually creating an exact image of the old drive on the new ssd. The system I prefer is Clonezilla, which is a version of Linux that runs off a live CD. It is free to download and once downloaded just burn it to a CD, you can then boot from that CD and by use of either a USB to SATA adapter or by physically installing the new SSD into your computer along side your old HDD you will be able to "clone the old HDD to the New SSD. Then remove the old HDD and put the Cloned Version on the SSD into its place and reboot. That's it!

Source(s): Me and many builds / repairs

as quickly as the two desktops hook up with Microsoft's servers, you would be wanting problems. in basic terms one laptop may well be registered to a serial at a time. you will possibly desire to easily %. up a reproduction of Win7 sixty 4-bit OEM for form of $one hundred to your new own laptop.