Can someone explain this verse to me?

'He (Satan) said: Now, because Thou hast sent me astray, verily I shall lurk in ambush for them on Thy Right Path.' [7:16]

Does this mean that Allah swt drove Satan astray and into disobedience so that in return he can do the same to us?

Does Allah swt want us to be in error?

Update:

@ o2cute4u: But you just explained that according to ibn Abbas Satan is saytin that God led him astray. This point still isn't clear to me.

Update 2:

saying*

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, Satan (Iblees) chose to be disobedient, he chose to go astray, that is why Allah cursed him.

Qur'an [2:34]

And [mention] when We said to the angels, "Prostrate before Adam"; so they prostrated, except for Iblees. He refused and was arrogant and became of the disbelievers.

Back to your question, The scholars differ about the arabic term "أغويتني" or in english "Thou hast sent me astray"

Please read this:

http://www.islamweb.net/newlibrary/display_book.ph...

"Does Allah swt want us to be in error?"

No, Allah replied to Satan (Iblees) in another verse by saying:

Qur'an [15:42]

Indeed, My servants - no authority will you have over them, except those who follow you of the deviators.

We get in error because we followed the footsteps of Satan (Iblees) by our own choice while Allah warned us not to follow him.

Qur'an [2:208]

O you who have believed, enter into Islam completely [and perfectly] and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy.

Allah does not want us to be in error.

Qur'an [39:7]

Allah does not approve for his servants disbelief.

• musa
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Allah has the Power to stop the satan or anyone from disobedience to His commands, if He so wills.

But He never interferes with the 'free will' that He had granted to the jinn's or men, as a 'test'.

He leaves astray/ sent's astray those that would persist to be rebellious, for He knew them by His infinite Knowledge.

But those that Allah knew through His infinite Knowledge, those that who are sincere in their search for guidance, He would guide them, and shall never leave them astray.

Edit:

It was Allah's plan to create mankind, even before He created Adam. And the 'Iblis' was there even before Adam was created. The main reason why Allah created man(kind) and gave him the 'brain' (intellect), was just expecting 'due recognition' from man(kind), as to His Oneness, His Glory and All His Greatness. This was the 'Test' and the main purpose of man(kind)'s existence.

So in order for man(kind) to fulfill this 'purpose', it became necessary that man(kind) need to be 'really' tested with temptations.

Since it is not for Allah to do the 'temptations' and since He had foreknowledge about 'Iblis' that 'Iblis' would be the 'right candidate' for the role, Allah left 'iblis' in his 'rebellious' ways/ sen't him astray, and also specially granted only him 'respite' till the Day of Resurrection/Day of Judgement.

But Allah so love the world that He, in not wanting anyone to perish and cause his own destruction, sent chosen souls as 'Messengers' from Him at different times, to be 'guides to man(kind)'.

Hope that is helpful.

Allah knows best.

• 8 years ago

Bismillahi Walhamdullillah Wasalaathu Wasalaamu Ala Rasoollillah,

In Islamic literature it has been written that Ibliis was "Mu'allim ul Malik" means Teacher of Angels! There is no place in the universe where he not "Prostrated" for Allah Ta'ala! he is a great "Muwahid" till the "Day of Judgement".

now, we have to see this Surah When Allah Ta'ala orderd All Malaika & Ibliis(Jin) to prostrate(Sajdah) to Adam(AS) except Ibliis all Malaika done! When Allah Ta'ala enquired with Ibliis he was arrogant in his answer so Allah Ta'ala cursed him and expelled, it means now Ibliss don't have place near Allah Ta'ala so he has to roam around so it means he loses Allah's nearness after all Knowledge, Prayers, Belief of Oneness!

Why? because he was arrogant first, second he is not in humility & respect(Taziim) infront of Allah's

Prophet! why this happend? because, although he was having fear of Allah in his heart, he don't have love in his heart!

so to conclude, who ever don't have love & respect for their Prophet become a Shaytan and lose the nearness of Allah go out of the Straight Path to astray just like Judaism!

Allah Alone Gives Success.

Source(s): Shaytaan(Ibliis) being a Alim, Arif, Abid But Mardood is not a Lover other wise he would have Prostrated.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Life is a test as per Sura Al-Mulk and satan has been programmed / designed to test us human beings.

Allah does not want us to be error but the temptations, we choose between right and wrong using our free will.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Shah
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Not really sure !!

But if anyone knows God and HIS capacity more than anyone else, then it is Satan. As he was the arch angel.

When Satan failed to overcome his feelings to repent to God, he assumed that God has willed to send him astray.

Source(s): Quranist "God Alone, Quran Alone"
  • 8 years ago

1.) Allaah is the One who guides and misguides. If one is sincere in his quest for the truth, Allaah will guide him (and no one else can) and if they aren't, Allaah will send him astray.

Shaytaan was a jinn and he was given free will (just like humans). Shaytaan decided his path on his own by saying/doing what he did. He wouldn't have had the power to speak or to do any of that if Allaah didn't give him the ability to do so since not even a leaf can fall without the will/permission of Allaah.

So another way to explain this is that if a person is going to commit shirk and wants to disobey Allaah as much as possible, then Allaah will allow for him to do that (because, again, nothing can happen without His Permission). In fact, Allaah will make it easy for that person to do those things so that he can get deeper and deeper in his sins so that his punishment in the Hereafter will be greater. But in the end, it will still be that person's fault. Allaah gave them free will, they chose the wrong path, they have to deal with the consequences.

2.) If Allaah wanted us to be in error, He would not have sent Messengers and Prophets to every nation. He would not have blessed us with Islaam. He would not have talked about the rewards of Jannah.

Allaah actually said to Shaytaan:

"Verily! My slaves (i.e the true believers of Islāmic Monotheism), you have no authority over them. And All-Sufficient is your Lord as a Guardian." (Al-Isra 17:65)

Here is the tafseer of 7:16:

﴿فَبِمَآ أَغْوَيْتَنِى لأَقْعُدَنَّ لَهُمْ صِرَطَكَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ﴾

("Because You have `Aghwaytani', surely, I will sit in wait against them (human beings) on Your straight path.'') meaning, as You have sent me astray. Ibn `Abbas said that `Aghwaytani' means, "Misguided me.'' Others said, "As You caused my ruin, I will sit in wait for Your servants whom You will create from the offspring of the one you expelled me for.'' He went on,

﴿صِرَطَكَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ﴾

(Your straight path), the path of truth and the way of safety. I (Iblis) will misguide them from this path so that they do not worship You Alone, because You sent me astray. Mujahid said that the `straight path', refers to the truth.

Wallaahu 'Alam

Edit: Yeah, Allaah is the only one who can guide/misguide (lead to the straight path or send a person astray). But it is due to the person's own heart/choices/beliefs/actions if they're guided/misguided. Here:

And those who join others in worship with Allāh say: "If Allāh had so willed, neither we nor our fathers would have worshipped aught but Him, nor would we have forbidden anything without (Command from) Him." So did those before them. Then! Are the Messengers charged with anything but to convey clearly the Message?

And verily, We have sent among every Ummah a Messenger (proclaiming): "Worship Allāh (Alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Tāghût." Then of them were some whom Allāh guided and of them were some upon whom the straying was justified. So travel through the land and see what was the end of those who denied (the truth). (An-Nahl 16:35-36)

The tafseer of 16:35

The legislative will of Allah is clear and cannot be taken as an excuse by them, because He had forbidden them to do that upon the tongue of His Messengers, but by His universal will (i.e., by which He allows things to occur even though they do not please Him) He allowed them to do that as it was decreed for them. So there is no argument in that for them. Allah created Hell and its people both the Shayatin (devils) and disbelievers, but He does not like His servants to disbelieve. And this point constitutes the strongest proof and the most unquestionable wisdom.

Is it a little bit easier to understand now? I know it sounds confusing but it's not once you read this a few times.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The lesson we learn from that aya is that we do not blame God for our own sins.

Sin is something that God forbids, and its a test for us.

Satan blamed God for his sin.

• M
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Also 10:99, says anyone can be believer only if Allah wills.

Now Allah has put disease in non believer's heart and this disease will be increased by Allah, Allah has sealed their hearts too (2:7, 10).

7:178. says, Whom Allah doth guide,- he is on the right path: whom He rejects from His guidance,- such are the persons who perish.

Why should a loving Allah not guide his own children (or as Muslims say it “slaves”)?

Why should he leave them to themselves and a wrath that fill the Hell with those whom he purposefully did not guide? This defies logic.

7:16-18. [Satan] said, "Because You have put me in error, I will surely

sit in wait for them [i.e., mankind] on Your straight path.

Then I will come to them from before them and from behind

them and on their right and on their left, and You will not find

most of them grateful [to You]."

[Allah] said, "Depart from it [i.e., Paradise], reproached and

expelled. Whoever follows you among them – I will surely

fill Hell with you, all together."

Why do words of Allah and Iblis match?

Also, 7:16-18,

word "qāla" i.e. "said" is there in third person, see in square brackets the translator has put [Allah] and [Satan], then there is first person speech, in the inverted comma, there is no indication who is speaking!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.