What is the G2019S mutation in the LRRK2 gene?

Hi, I'm doing a science project about the Parkinson's disease. I was reading a paper about it, and it said that people with the G2019S mutation in the LRRK2 gene are more likely to get Parkinson's. What I'm asking is, what is this mutation? Does it refer to a specific change in the DNA sequence?... show more Hi, I'm doing a science project about the Parkinson's disease. I was reading a paper about it, and it said that people with the G2019S mutation in the LRRK2 gene are more likely to get Parkinson's. What I'm asking is, what is this mutation? Does it refer to a specific change in the DNA sequence? If so, where, specifically? How do scientists name mutations?
Update: Also, does anyone have any ideas on what to do for my science project..I'd like to involve computer programming; what should I do, write a program that compares the DNA sequence between a normal sequence and those afflicted with Parkinson's? Should I write a program to find the 3d structure of LRRK2? ... show more Also, does anyone have any ideas on what to do for my science project..I'd like to involve computer programming; what should I do, write a program that compares the DNA sequence between a normal sequence and those afflicted with Parkinson's? Should I write a program to find the 3d structure of LRRK2? I've barely started my research so I'm open to change. My dream is to eventually get into Intel ISEF
1 answer 1