Can you grow Giant Moso Bamboo in Ohio?

I'm planning on buying Giant Moso Bamboo seeds, and I want to know if it will grow here in Ohio.

Favorite Answer

I live in Central Ohio, and contrary to what SCOTT answered, there are plenty of bamboo that are hardy in Ohio. And there are plenty of neighbors who are unhappy about that, as many of those same hardy bamboos are runners, and agressively eat neighboring yards.

However, a quick check on Giant Moso bamboo says that it's a zone 8 or 7 plant. If you're in southern Ohio, you might grow it in a protected spot. If you're in Northern Ohio, nope, it'll not winter over.

But as I first said, if you want bamboo that WILL grow in your Ohio yard, they are out there.

Bamboo is cake to grow. Correctly it takes over so readily so be careful. I purchased a sprout of it and its sitting in a cup with like three inches of water. It stays alive and its just sitting within. Its developing first-class. I are living in virgina. So identity say yeah provide it a go however be careful

• SCOTT

I don't know of any bamboo that is not tropical, so unless you are growing it in a giant atrium or mall NO. There are some miniature bamboo that can be grown in doors, they do well in a pot, only get a few tall and can be trimmed.

Source(s): 30+ yrs hort exp