Should I drive or take the metro to downtown Washington D.C?

I am going to Washington DC this summer but it already know where I will be staying (near the Dulles Airport cause the rooms are very cheap but i still don't book so I can change the location), I tried to read the suggestions but they constantly ask to take the Metro to the downtown core, but I am so far away... show more I am going to Washington DC this summer but it already know where I will be staying (near the Dulles Airport cause the rooms are very cheap but i still don't book so I can change the location), I tried to read the suggestions but they constantly ask to take the Metro to the downtown core, but I am so far away from the stations. I am staying probably during the weekends (yet to confirm) and taking public transit is so expensive (for a family of 4 that is $60 a day to purchase the day pass). Going into the downtown core with all the confusing streets are relative easy for me cause I live in Toronto and I am sure the traffic here is way worse here. The problem is that we are trying to get away not stuck at a hour long traffic jam during vacation. So here is the big questions, should I drive to downtown at the weekend, how about during the weekday or just take the transit? Lastly, any tips to get around in and out of the downtown when their is a traffic jam? The more detail the higher the chance of being chosen for best answer. :P