What happens if there are alot of white blood cells, and they attack red blood cells?

I would like to know what happens if white blood cells attack red blood cells?? ( I believe it is Leukemia) is there treatment? Can that patient survive? I need to know this A.S.A.P please! I believe that it is chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) I'm not sure though..

Best Answer

Leukemia (CML) is not the only illness that causes white cells to out number the red, there is also a rare type of pernicious anemia that reacts the EXACT same way. I know this because I have that rare anemia. You'll need to be tested, and the test does include bone marrow samples.

• Nelson

No. It's the autoimmune disease called 'lupus erythematosus', in which white cells devour red cells. While this happens, the characteristic "L-E cell" appears in blood smears, a white cell surrounding a red cell.

The problem in leukemia is that large numbers of leukemic white cells crowd the red cells out of the bone marrow. In both diseases, anemia develops---either from destruction or marrow replacement.

Both are now very treatable.

Source(s): MD

It means that the body is confused into thinking the red blood cells are an invader, and are sending the white cells to destroy them. What happens is that it compromises the body's own ability to transport oxygen to all the cells in the various body parts.