Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

I need someone’s honest opinion… should I ditch this story, or keep it up?

Thanks for clicking this... this is a story I'm actually thinking of ditching... but I need somebody's opinion on it before I make the decision. I was actually inspired by Laurie Halse Anderson’s “Speak.” It’s an emotional drama, but with Speak’s humor. It focuses on the very real aspect of teen bullying.

The story is written in passive, 1st person. It's about a normal, rather free-spirited teen girl named Nicole, who's just starting her senior year in high school. She walks into her new English class, and to her horror, she discovers that she has English class with pretty much the geekiest kid in her school, named Mark Mullen. Everybody treats him like a leper. He's shy, silent, and doesn't say much… and also a silent, tormented victim of bullying... although no body knows about it. Nicole has seen him around before, but never wanted to talk to him because she believes he’s a weirdo as well.

Then one day, their English teacher assigns Nicole and Mark to do a poetry project together- much to Nicole's dismay. So Nicole and Mark are forced to spend time together. They go over to each other’s houses, planning out their project, etc. As this happens, Nicole starts to learn more about Mark’s personal life. He opens up to her, telling her he even writes poetry in his spare time as a much beloved hobby… so he think the project will be fairly easy. He likes art, classical music and such. Nicole starts to have a different viewpoint about Mark. She softens up and decides to stops treating him like how all the other kids do. They then befriend each other, and they start doing more stuff together besides things relating to their project, like hanging out after school, going out for lunch together, etc.

This gets the attention of the other kids in her class. They start noticing that Nicole is spending an awful lot of time with her poetry partner, and a rumor spreads around the whole school that Nicole and Mark are dating. (This very well may happen, and they might end up as a couple in the book, but I’m not sure). Nicole defends herself and outright denies this. But soon her reputation is turned around, and everyone starts laughing at *her* now because she spends time with the most unpleasant freak in school. The rumors drag out throughout the entire school year. Nicole’s self-esteem then goes downhill. Her grades soon start slipping, she starts wearing messier clothes… to the point where she doesn’t want to go to school anymore. She just wants to cry and curl up, waiting for the school year to end. She doesn’t find it fair that she is getting treated like scum just because she is hanging out with a guy. Nicole tries to consult her new friend, Mark (and possibly her new secret bf), and he says that this is exactly what he goes through every single day… without anyone taking notice. Nicole now knows what it’s like to be in Mark’s victim world of bullying.

I never really have the time or patience to keep this one up... and I'm STUMPED on a title... but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. Please tell me what you think.

• Ariya
    Favorite Answer

I love it. Seriously. You should keep going with it. The thing about bullying is most people don't know how it feels and think it's not a big deal, so I admire you for making that your message in the book. Also make it unique so it doesn't seem cliche. Mark likes art and with art anything is possible. And as for a title just write it and think of it later or put in a substitute title till you think of a better one. :)

• mczell

The plot is incredibly super and that i will admit that i became into addicted to it. I see this to be a narrative approximately an Actress it somewhat is so busy in her occupation that she cant seem to do the rest. Then sooner or later she is going out with that Eli dude and slowly will become extra interested in the exterior international. some structural blunders, yet different than which you probably did sturdy.

I'd read it

I think you should keep going

and the title will come to you as you write it

Good luck:)

I am in love with this idea. dont riah a tittle. take your time. sometimes an author first writes a book, then created a tittle:)