Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 years ago

Should I have been hugged after my dog died?

today my mom and i just put our beloved dog down. i told my bf of 8 years and he came over after work. i opened the door for him and when he walked in he didn't hug me or say sorry or anything. is this weird? it didn't dawn on me until later when my mom said, "i wish he hugged you." bf is not pda friendly as it is but i don't know what to think in this situation.

he knew how much i loved my dog. at least i thought he did....

Favorite Answer

I'm very sorry for the loss of your pet. As to your situation, it's a bit odd. While your mom wants what is best for you; you can't really let her dictate what your boyfriend should have done. You said he's not pda friendly that might be why he didn't hug you. If it bothers you ask him why he didn't say he's sorry or give you a hug. Unless he's a mind reader, he may not be aware of how you would have liked him to react. AgaIn, talk to him and again, I'm very sorry you lost your pet.

Of course he should have hugged you. One of those huge bear hugs that wraps around you, as he whispers "I'm so sorry." That's showing care for someone you love. Still...you did say he wasn't very touchy/feely...so no real fault on his part. Just calmly explain that in the future this is what he should do for you. Let him learn from the experience and then move on. BTW...sorry about your dog...that sucks.

Source(s): Just another brother doling out the advice on Yahoo Answers

Sorry about your dog. Some people just don't grow up with pets or have a too large family to afford pets so they don't know what it's like to lose a beloved animal.

• Jack

Human- Yes a hug is necessary

Dog- Maybe

I'm sure he came over for something else. I'm pretty sure it wasn't to coddle you & to give his condolences.