Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 9 years ago

What and where is the CMOS clear switch in a mobo?

My PC overheated and now it wont turn on so I asked for some advice on a forum and someone told me to do a CMOS clear. What's a CMOS clear? He told me to look for a switch on my motherboard but I don't know where it is. I have an Intel DH57DD media series socket: 1156

I think my PC has a safeguard that shuts down the PC before the heat damages the CPU. Will resetting the CMOS help either way?

Re: Clearing CMOS, the easy way is just to remove the 'button' battery for for five or ten minutes.

How to Reset Your BIOS: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Otherwise refer to the DH57DD Product Guide (PDF page 54): http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18779/eng/DH57DD_P...

and move jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3

As someone else replied, there's probably a 50/50 chance that reseting the BIOS/CMOS will solve your problem.

Usually the jumper is next to the battery but clearing the CMOS won't bring a fried motherboard back to life

• Lu

On that main board it would be located just under the white pci slot at the bottom of the main board. It will state the word boid config next to it. It is a jumper system not a button.

Resetting the bois is a 50/50 chance that it will work.

• DrDave

It most likely isn't a switch to begin with. It will be a series of 3 pins with a jumper on 2 of them. Secondly, who ever told you that to begin with is full of crap.

I had an issue like this awhile back... it wasnt my MOBO .. I had fried my graphics card... have you tried booting up in safe mode?