Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

is this a good beginners guitar?

im thinking about buying an epiphone sg standard, is it good for a beginner? i would like to paly hard rock, metal and even punk rock

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I started out with an Epiphone LP Custom and it was a great beginner guitar. I play metal, (Trivium, Machine Head type stuff) but if you want to play metal I would recommend an ESP Viper, It is a great beginner metal guitar, equipped with EMG's and is an SG body.

Source(s): played guitar for 7 years now
  • 9 years ago

It's really hard to answer with a simple answer since it's such a simple question. A lot of Epiphone guitars feel very uncomfortable, and sound incredibly bizarre (not a good thing.) The feel of the neck, is very important for playability. Have you played one? If not, you must. If you have and you like it, then GET IT.

Keep in mind, that a lot of other guitars are well suited for the harder styles of music your interested in. They offer killer looks, and mean tones.

If you have the money, I would suggest getting THIS.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-Avenge-SOB-E...

It's a BC Rich at descent quality. It has a basswood body, which is light and most low-end guitars/bass have (some high-end instruments use basswood too though.)

If not, I understand completely. But YES. The Epiphone will do, but may not feel too comfortable after you get better within a few months. Remember that. Take care, and let us know what you decided to purchase!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes. My third guitar was an Epiphone SG. If you are just trying it out and dont know if you will stick to it, buy one thats not too expensive until you are better. You should ultimately buy one that you find fits nicely in your hands and you find it comfortable and easy to play, for now. You could get the action on it lowered too if it is too high off the shelf. (PS i think what the person above me meant was a starcaster vs a stratocaster)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Full Size Black Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package is a great electric guitar! It came in a pretty good case and it has great sound, it's a very sleek, light electric guitar. The amp is also pretty good also.

This is a very nice guitar!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I'm a beginner too and I use a starcaster by fender (not to be confused with the fender starcaster), but my teacher says that I should start with an acoustic guitar dirt and the use electric guitars later

• 9 years ago

I reccomend going to a music store and trying out some guitars before you buy. That's a great guitar, by the way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.