Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 9 years ago

How can I take the insurance of my car off my parents name?

Okay sooo, my dad has never been a good father figure until i turned 16. I'm now 17 and have a car that i bought and i have the title and loan in my name. He is the co-signer. He also pays the insurance. I have a boyfriend and he doesn't like it when i have a boyfriend. He thinks i'm too young for one. My mom and him are divorced and i live with my mom. She doesn't care that i have a boyfriend and lets me go over to his house and go on dates, etc. He doesn't approve. So he threatened to take my car away if i don't be home when he says. My home is my moms house. I have more of a right to listen to her than i do my dad. She thinks so too. He says since he pays the insurance he should be able to take my car away if he wants to. I offered to pay my own but he won't let me because then he won't have anything to hold over my head. How can i get my own insurance and take it off his name without him knowing until its done?

Favorite Answer

Does your mom have car insurance? Get on her policy. I don't believe a 17 year old can get their own insurance. One thing I do know is that the person with the title is the owner. Merely paying insurance doesn't give him the right to take your car. All he could do is cancel the insurance; if he were to try to take the car you could report it stolen.

Wait until you're 18, and get your own policy. When you are 18, I think you can call whoever insures the car, say you wish to have a single policy and have the car taken off his policy. i don't think there's anything he can do about it. Actually, call the insurance agent now, and they can tell you for sure what your options are.

Get and compare quotes from different companies at - INSURERATESME.INFO-

RE How can I take the insurance of my car off my parents name?

If it is legally your own car then just go into a branch of whoever is your insurance company and talk to them about it. Just tell them that you would like to swap who pays the insurance for the car and what can be done about it.

As for the parents situation, I can totally relate.

(I agree with the above answer)

For free insurance quotes

You know there are several discounts you can apply? Find the best promotions for you at: QUOTESDEAL.NET