Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Haren asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

If I need a Dog for protection work, what it will be called in KCI term ? Show Quality or other ?

Suppose I want to buy a GSD or Doberman for protection work.. Then how I'll know from KCI papers that it can be a good protection dog ? Mean His Pedigree carries Guarding gene ..? What it will be called ? "Show Quality" or other ?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • akluis
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

for ANY dog, the key isn't that it has 'papers' but to judge the ancestors listed on those papers.

The whole idea of breeding is 'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree'. So look at the dog's parents and grandparents.

A good protection dog will be termed 'working quality' and in the parents or grandparents it will have at least one dog that is a schutzhund champion, 'French Ring' champion, or be a highly regarded police/military dog.

• You will know it will be a good protection dog when you buy a TRAINED protection dog from a professional PPD trainer/breeder. Remember that you have to actually buy a PPD NOT a dog trained in Shutzhund or French Ring. Sport dogs are totally different from Personal Protection dogs. Pet dog breeders DO NOT sell protection dogs and a fru-fru show dog couldn't even dream of doing the task

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.