Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Chances of my acceptance to medical school?

Hello, I am a 15 year old entering my sophomore year of highschool. I have dreams of becoming a medical doctor, but I am curious of my chances of getting accepted into medical school. I know this depends on how well I do in the basic science I first major in, but this question is reguarding other factors as well.

My first semester of biology was when I struggled a bit and finished with a B+. I had problems with memorizing parts of the plant cycles and things along the lines of that kind of stuff. During second semester, I took a lot of interest in genetics and protien synthesis. I learned this stuff very quickly and finished with an A+ in that semester. I also thoroughly enjoyed the dissections.

I am a good math student, but i'm not completely sure if that matters much right now. Also, I have yet to take chemistry and I am nervous about that. I ended up with an A+ in health though.

Overall, I finished freshman year with a 3.88 GPA on a 4.0 GPA scale. I will be graduating with technical or academic honors in the state of Indiana, but i'm not sure yet. Right now I am 10th in my class, and I will be taking atleast 1 year of spanish and 1 year of french. In the future, I know my science classes taken throughout high school will be Chemist 1, General college Chem, and Anatomy/Phisiology. Also, I am a member of Beta and a SADD representative. (not sure if this matters either)

I think i'll graduate with around a 3.6-3.9 GPA. Do you think I will have problems with acceptance?

Favorite Answer

You seem to be a good candidate for the medical profession. However, I would recommend that you do some volunteer work in a hospital setting so you can have an actual feel of what lies ahead. Medicine is not what it used to be in terms of regulations and insurance coverages. It has become more expensive to obtain an MD degree and you may find yourself in great debt before you graduate, unless of course, you're rich to begin with. Many practicing physicians at this time are not setting up their own private practice, many have become salaried physicians, and some have given up their practice because of the problems of getting reimbursed for their services and the rising cost of getting malpractice coverage and increased possibility of getting sued frivolously. Good Luck.

Source(s): Happily Retired MD.

High school matters ONLY to get into college. After that, nobody cares, and nobody will ever look at what you did in high school again.

College matters a LOT. Your college GPA needs to be high, and your MCAT scores need to shine.

It's impossible to tell now if you will be a competitive med school candidate or not. It depends on how you do in college. RIght now, you can learn how to learn, and learn how to study effectively. It looks like you are on the right track.

You should also go out, have fun, and be a kid.

Source(s): I'm a physician.

Your chances of getting accepted into a very good university are excellent. But med school acceptance depends on your performance in college. Good luck and keep studying. But don't forget to have a little fun on the way. It's OK to enjoy your teen age years.

Source(s): Retired doc.