ethel asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 8 years ago

what is the difference between hd ready and full hd tv?

will a full hd tv pick up hd signals?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

PLEASE ignore the ignorant people who are obviously just guessing, or who have imported their "answers" from the USA. There is a proper engineering difference.

"HD Ready" and "Full HD" are NOT either/or options. One of them refers to the capability of the television's built in tuner; the other refers to the ability of the telly to show HD pictures. It is common for a telly to be described as "HD Ready - Full HD".

The answer to your question is in the terms themselves:

"HD Ready" means exactly what it says. The television is "ready" to show High Definition pictures. It does not have a built in tuner capable of receiving the HD channels. All it needs insan external HD source such as a Blu-ray player or external HD box (eg Sky HD) - connected with an HDMI cable.

The term HD Ready has absolutely NOTHING to do with the screen resolution. A new "HD Ready" telly is often capable of showing the full range of HD pictures.

"Full HD" means that the television is capable of showing HD pictures in any of the three recognised international HD standards: 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Almost all television sets sold in the UK qualify as Full HD and soon all of the screens larger than 26" will qualify. Hopefully this will mean that the term "Full HD" will disappear. The term Full HD only refers to the ability of the screen to show the full range of HD pictures - it has nothing to do with the ability of the tuner.

Not all television sets have tuners that can receive the Freeview HD channels. If the label says "HD Ready" then its built in tuner will only receive the Standard Definition Freeview channels. This applies even if the screen itself is "Full HD".

Therefore you will see some television sets, even those made by reputable manufacturers, labelled as "Full HD/HD Ready". All this means is that the telly can show the full range of HD pictures but it needs an external HD tuner or Blu-ray player to do it.

More and more modern tv sets are equipped with built in tuners that can receive the full range of channels, including the Freeview HD ones. Eventually the term "HD Ready" will disappear.

Note that there are NO broadcast programmes using 1080p. The Virgin, Sky and Freeview systems are only capable of delivering 720p and 1080i. There are no plans to "upgrade" this because the cost would be so high that it's completely uneconomical. You can get 1080p from some Blu-ray discs.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

If you're in the market for a new TV, get full HD. HD ready is simply an intermediate step between conventional TV and high definition that was created by the manufacturers because they were unable to build TVs to high definition spec. The technology to film and broadcast in HD has been around for years, but display technology is only just catching up. An HD ready TV cannot display high definition TV, it can only display at a slightly higher screen resolution than conventional TV. So if you play full HD media on an HD ready TV you will actually *lose* image quality. It'll still look better than a conventional TV, but not a patch on full HD. This was a great explanation from another user, linked.

• 8 years ago

HD Ready means the TV is capable of displaying some form of HD picture - either 720 or 1080 - but does not have a built-in HD tuner. It needs an external freeview or sat box, or a blu-ray player etc as a source.

Full HD can mean either a 1080p display or HD display and HD tuner.

Check the description of the specific TV to see if it includes 'Freeview HD'.

• 8 years ago

"The Tank" and "Classics" are correct.

I actually own a "HD Ready" TV. I cannot hook an antenna to it.

I have to use a cable box or a Sat receiver to get HD programming. If I wanted to use an antenna I would have to buy a external HD receiver for about $200.

"will a full hd tv pick up hd signals?"

Yes - assuming you hook it into an antenna big enough.

Go to www.antennaweb.org and it will show you where the TV towers are around your home an dif you need a indoor or outdoor antenna to get the farther away stations.

Hope this helps.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

The American term means HD-ready needs an external tuner to tune broadcast HD - the internal tuner is SD only, while Full HD means that the built in tuner can get broadcast HD. Specifically for sets sold in the middle 2000s when those terms were uses there, is that HD-ready had NTSC only tuner, and full HD had ATSC digitial - which ATSC by default supports HD. In the UK it is a bit different, as TVs have for some time supported DVB-T digital, but only in SD. They need DVB-T2 to support HD.

In British retail parlance as I see it, it seems HD-ready is 720P native, Full HD 1080i/p native, regardless of tuner capabilities.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The difference between the two means you would need a "Blue-Ray" DVD player in order to make it a Full HD TV.

Hope this info'helps you.

• 8 years ago

The one and only difference is in the supported resolution.

Full HD has 1920x1080 pixels resolution, while HD Ready supports max 1366x768 ( for 50'') or 1024x768 (for 37'' - 42''). Thus a big growth in the display resolution consisting in more detail and more tridimensional effect of the displayed image.

• 8 years ago

Listen to "the tank" and NO ONE ELSE for your question. The others are guessing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.