Anyone know the cone layout for the Illinois motorcycle road test?

I am trying to practice for the road test and found a layout of the course in the Illinois DMV website but I cannot find how far apart the cones are for the cone weave portion. I tried finding the answer online but I have found many different distances people say are correct. Is there even an official distance for the cones in Illinois?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

IL uses the same lay-out as many other states... Six pairs of cones, 4-feet apart (left-to-right), and 20-feet apart (forward/back).

You enter from the right, starting your weave to the left... at the end, you make sharp right-hand u-turn, then repeat the weave, starting this time from the left side, first weave to the right.

The second part of the test will be driving straight through the cones, shifting up to 2nd, then down to 1st, u-turn at the end, go back through, upshifting, downshifting, and stopping on the stop-bar, in 1st gear, keeping control of the bike the whole time.

Putting your feet down at any time is normally a failing grade.

Now, saying this... I highly recommend you take the MSF BRC course. You get fantastic instruction, lots of practice time (16-hrs "on-bike" time), a more involved "testing", and IL accepts passing of an approved course in lieu of the DMV test... you'll also "normally" get a discount on your insurance for passing any MSF course. The courses cost between $25 (for advanced riders), up to $400 depending on where it is offered (for beginners course). Most colleges offer the BRC for $75-200. The insurance discount alone will pay for the course in a year or two.