Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Sex Ed. Classes in high school?

Why is it that religious people are against teaching sex education but there also against abortion? In my school we had a class called health that taught about different sexual diseases and all kinds of birth control and how you use them etc. when I was a freshman I went to school in a small town (because my dad lives in one) and they didn't have a class like that. And now there is a lot more pregnant girls (compared to the size of the school) than there are at my current high school (I'm a senior). Nomatter what you say, those classes do make a difference

Favorite Answer

I 100% agree with you. My sister is a conservative Baptist and she is against teaching safe sex because it would allow the students to get involved in sex before marriage which in her belief system is a sin. Whether it really is a sin or not, who knows. The point is teenagers are horny and are going to have sex anyway. So would you rather have a generation of teen pregnant moms? Or a generation of people who practice safe consensual sex?

• Not all are against sex education many feel the benefits of abstinence/ waiting should be placed more into these education talks, being they are young minded with hormones rushing and often make mistakes they regret. Not understanding feelings from wise choices.

I wouldn't group most religious people are against teaching sex education as much as teaching responsibility more in this area.

Even if some teachers wanted too--there are restrictions to their teaching morals --so it's like a tug of war

And a very important fact--I wouldn't say teenage pregnancy and early disease (or emotional factors ) is much less now and not a "Huge" "Huge" problem in today's world despite all the information we have out there

We seem to be missing something in teaching our youth. .

Than there is the question for some who is teaching the class--what are their own morals? Some parents are able to teach their children well.

Two sides to this--and both important --to bad they can't work together

• robb

I'm not saying that there should not be sex ed classes but I'm having a hard time believing that the reason there are so many teens getting pregnant is because teens are too dumb to know where babies come from and how to prevent that. Sex is discussed more openly than it was say, 40 or 50 years ago and there are so many more options for birth control and birth control is more easily available. If lack of education was the only issue teen pregnancies should be lower than they once were but this is not the case.

Part of the problem is that teen pregnancy is more acceptable than it once was. I have encountered too many pregnant teens (and single 20 somethings as well) that were proud of the fact they were pregnant.

• Emily

IMO... it is only the school's place to teach the actual scientific position of sex/intercourse. That is... sex organs of both sexes, and the science of the use of those organs... reproduction: sperm is ejaculated, travels to fallopian tubes, fertilizes egg, and fertilized egg implants in uterus. School's ONLY place is the science of reproduction... NOT teaching students how to use condoms, or to use abstinence.

PARENTS need to step up and teach their children about safe sex or abstinence, whatever they believe/what to convey. It's not the school's job to do that FOR you.

Source(s): Taoist
  • Of course they make a difference.

You're not going to prevent teenagers from having sex either way you go but for the love of God, use condoms and/or birth control.

Coming from a Christian family, we simply believe that is isn't necessary to learn of ways to prevent pregnancies or sexual diseases because we are taught to wait until we are married. If you just figured this out, the person you first lose your virginity becomes "one in flesh" with you.

1 Corinthians 6:16

"Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, 'The two will become one flesh."

Bible Verses About Marriage - Marriage is a sacred vow between a man and woman and the Bible offers many verses that offer guidance for married couples, husbands, wives, newlyweds and engagement. Read verses from the Holy Bible about marriage in relation to God, Jesus Christ, and the Christian faith.

Use our Bible verses by topic page which lists popular verses from the Old and New Testaments.

Genesis 2:22-24

Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man." For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Matthew 19:4-6

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

Source(s): Bible

I agree that they see babies as punishments. Those horny teen age girls deserve to be pregnant. That will Teach them!!! Christianity is all about guilt and punishment.

Religion helps people cope with being losers. So for religion to be successful, you need losers.

This is why religion has always opposed all types of education (but especially science or sexual health).

Without losers, who would go to church?

• me

they think with abstinence sex ed and abortion won't be needed

well religious people think that their telling children that its ok to have sex before marriage... thats why they dont like it.