How to tell when Spa heat element needs replacement?

I have an older CalSpa. Its very large (I believe its rated for 6 people). Its all electrics (240 volt). I had a leaking union at the heater so I'm replacing the union. I'm wondering if I should just replace the element while I'm at it. The spa gets up to 104F but if you are in it for an hour or two on a really cold night it will cool down to about 90-95F. I know the electric spas don't warm as fast so I'm not sure if that's normal.

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

elec heating elements ether work or they dont .. like light bulb there is no in between.

but what you can do is buy a higher wattage heating element .

again like a light bulb. lets say you have a 60 watt bulb and want more light , you buy a 100 watt bulb.

so may have a low amperage element , if so , buy a higher amperage element .

look at the one you have and get the numbers off of it and find out if you buy a hotter one. then save this one for a spare.

it works exactly the same way as a hot water heater does. you can buy diff elements for a hot water heater...