Which oil should I use for my 2000 dodge intrepid?

The manufacture recomends 5w30 year round but I have almost 170,000 miles on it....advanced auto gave me high mileage 5w30. but I thought that with high mileage I should have 10w30.. I know the w stands for the thickness during the winter but I live in myrtle beach SC so it doesnt normally get that cold. I think we have used both previously but want whats best for my car to last as long as possible

• Gene
    Best Answer

Well, if you're running low oil pressure, sure, old school says throw a little more viscous oil in there and the pressure will come up some. Likely, you don't have an oil pressure guage anyway, so stick with the manufacturers guideline, which you did by putting 5W-30 in there. The fact that it is High Mileage oil simply means your pocketbook is that much lighter, but has nothing to do with the viscosity. You did right, don't go freestyling on the oil by what you might have heard somewhere.

I am an Amsoil representative and if it is not burning or leaking oil stay with 5w30. And there is no reason to put other additives in, especially if you are using good oil. As long as it has been reasonably cared for 170K is not really that high of mileage.

Ok if you r not going to put in what the factory recommends (because they r a lot smarter than we r )why ask us .I would like to make the money that the person made that wrote the book in the glove box of that 2000 dodge intrepid the maintenance manual.

Source(s): drpeppers

If it's not burning oil I would keep using what the manufacture recommends.