Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Boris
Lv 6
Boris asked in SportsOlympics · 9 years ago

Who should carry the olympic torch into the stadium? and why?

My favourites would be Linford Christie, Steve Ovett or Princess Anne.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • kozzm0
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Every country puts in some slow, fat 80 year old who jogs around pompously with the torch. Boring.

You should do something different and put someone fast in there. The people watch in amazement as the torch-bearer sprints through the entrance, races around the track, and bounds up the steps two at a time and lights the Olympic bowl before they know it.

Unfortunately your famous runners are all slow and fat now. Steve Ovett would just jog around like a heavyweight boxer, and that would look ridiculous. Same with Steve Cram, and Sebastian Coe is busy running the show.

But you have got one athlete who isn't slow and fat, and could sprint around the track with the torch, and you owe him one. David Beckham, who helped get London selected for the Olympics, but doesn't get to compete. It was his last chance to be in the Olympics too.

Every Olympic host wastes everyone's time in the opening ceremony with a 3-hour song and dance about how great their country and all its history. So the opening ceremony will be England this, England that. So there you'll be, at the Olympics, going England this, England that, and the people will say, ok, then, where's England's most famous athlete? But he won't be there.

I already know you won't pick David Beckham to carry the torch. But at least pick someone who the whole world will recognize. You have no other world-famous athletes, but you have got world famous comedy. You should have the cast of Monty Python carry the torch. John Cleese will bring it into the stadium walking silly, and hand it off to a competitor in the 100 meters for people with no sense of direction. Eventually they'll get the torch around the track, but they'll hand it off to the German philosopher's football team, who will have to deliberate for 5 minutes before performing a brilliant relay up the stairs where the fat Karl Marx will light the Olympic bowl.

• 9 years ago

I'd have to say a world of no to Christie, he received a ban for being a drugs cheat.

Personally I'd have Matthew Pinsent carry the torch into the stadium, then some medallists from the 48 Games if they're still around and end with Steve Redgrave lighting the flame.

• TLS
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Steve Redgrave or Steve Ovett

• 9 years ago

Dorothy Tyler-Odam.

Supposedly Britain's oldest living Olympian.

Only female track and field athlete to win Olympic medals both before and after WW2: silvers in Berlin 36 and London 48.

EDIT: Steve Ovett would be hilarious, especially if he flicks Coe the V on his way round.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Mine would be Sir Steve Redgrave, a true athlete and now a great ambassador.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

David Tennant, because in Doctor Who he was the one who lit the fire in the stadium. And because he's pretty cool.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.