Did romney lie about when he left bain or commit a felony when he signed SEC documents claiming to work there?

The SEC documents he signed under penalty of perjury say he worked there for 2 years after his attack ads said he left bain capital.

So is he a liar or a felon?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

My bet's on lying.

“Sorry, Mitt Romney, you can’t be Chariman, CEO, and President of a company and not be responsible for what it does.” David Axelrod

Photo of Obama’s reaction here:

https://p.twimg.com/Ax0jD5JCMAAiVIJ.jpg

“Either Mitt Romney, through his own words and his own signature, was misrepresenting his position at Bain to the SEC – which is a felony – or he was misrepresenting his position at Bain to the American people to avoid responsibility for some of the consequences of his investments. And if that’s the case, if he was lying to the American people, then that’s a rea character and trust issue that the American people need to take very seriously.” Stephanie Cutter, Deputy Obama Campaign Manager

Romney's Signature Appears On Bain SEC Filings t Times During Time He Said He Left Bain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/13/mitt-romn...

- Why was Romney being paid $100,000 as an Executive salary in both 2001 and 2002 by Bain if he was doing absolutely nothing as he claimed?

- Why did he make the statement in 2001 that he was finally going to relinquish control of Bain?

- Why did he say on CNBC in 2011 that he worked at Bain for 25 years when he started there in 1977 (+ 25 = 2002)?

- Why did he file a financial disclosure form in 2003 that said he still owned 100% of Bain in 2002?

- Why did a Feb. 12, 1999 article in Boston Herald say, “Romney said he will stay on as a part-timer with Bain, providing input on investment and key personnel decisions?”

- Why did Bain Capital say in a press release on Jul. 19, 1999, “Bain Capital CEO W. Mitt Romney, currently on part0time leave of absence to head the Salt Lake City Olympic Committee for the 2002 games said . . . ?”

And last but not least, demanding an apology for a negative ad is downright prissy.

##

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

If you are listed as president and CEO on an SEC document without any footnote explaining that the position is open and in process of being filled, that is a serious misstatement. I have served as the CEO of a regulated bank and we would never fail to disclose any important relevant info on regulatory filings. In addition to regulators, investors rely on the accuracy of those filings. Something is rotten in Bain Capital.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I will not vote for Romney. He is a complete liar in my eyes for double talking around the bain issue. This is totally wrong because if a democrat did what Romney is doing Foxnews would be all over it and not let up. Its a total double standard by conservatives.

• RJC
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Neither...please read the news before asking questions.

Romney Demands Apology For Obama Campaign's 'Felon' Lie

This morning, the Obama team, springboarding from mainstream media coverage it had likely astroturfed, said that Mitt Romney was either a “felon” or a liar. Its mainstream media lackeys quickly played it up. And this morning, the Obama team was completely debunked by members of its own media, who were shamed into telling the truth by an enraged New Media. Now, the Romney campaign is calling for an apology from the Obama campaign and a retraction from the Boston Globe.

New evidence for when Romney really left Bain Capital.

FORTUNE -- Mitt Romney did not manage Bain Capital's investments after leaving to run the Salt Lake City Olympic Games, according to confidential firm documents obtained by Fortune.

The timing of Romney's departure from Bain became a lightning rod earlier today, when The Boston Globe published an article suggesting that Romney remained actively involved with the firm longer than he and his campaign have claimed. The sourcing is largely SEC documents that list Romney as Bain Capital's CEO and sole shareholder through 2002 -- or three years after Romney officially left to run the Salt Lake City Olympic Games.

These claims are very similar to ones made last week by David Corn in Mother Jones, which we disputed at the time.

Now Fortune has obtained new evidence that supports Romney's version of events.

ADDED: Is reading the news a problem or comprehending what you read?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Neither

These false allegations are just part of Obama's Smoke & Mirrors to divert attention away from the fact that Obama's record has been one of neverending failures since Obama took office

I.E.

' I will cut the deficit in 1/2 during my first term '

' My ' stimulus ' will reduce unemployment to below 8 % and will create 3 1/2 million new ' shovel ready ' jobs '

' My health care reform will reduce health care costs + reduce health insurance premiums + increase health care benefits + will pay for itself + will not cost you one cent more '

• David
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

He is a liar. This incident proves how important it is to make corporatists report their doings, because otherwise Romney would have gotten away with the falsehood.

He must be dreading the debates. How can he weasel his way out of all his distortions and untruth?

• 8 years ago

I couldn't care less if Mitt was a closet cross-dresser, grows pot in his backyard, only had one testicle, doesn't change his oil every 3,000 miles, and part times as a pole dancer....he'd still be orders of magnitude better as president than the clown who's in the office right now.

• 8 years ago

Neither. Spreading vicious lies on this site amounts to libel. Factcheck.org and Washington Post have already verified the story is false. Obama is the criminal. He and Holder are responsible for the fiasco that is Fast and Furious. 230 people were killed as a result. Obama has committed so many other offenses that I cannot keep track of them.

• Shockingly he is NOW trying to claim neither.

He is claiming that both he left Bain and that he was paid by Bain despite not working...

• I think he was probably working there part time... which means... he was still WORKING THERE...

LOL... don't you love the above reply "MITT SAYS IT'S WRONG SO YOU SHOULD APOLOGIZE, I don't have any evidence, but politicians NEVER LIE"

EDIT: OH, he added some evidence... one internal memo that says mitt didn't work on ONE project... well, surely it's impossible to think that Mitt may have missed one project, or that an internal memo could be wrong... right?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.