C programming or c++?

Hi,

I really want to learn programming (like creating a program) but what should i chose? C or c++ or something else.

Thanks in advanced

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Eric
    Lv 5
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The most practical language for careers, as I was told by a credible Northrop Grumman recruiter, is C#.

I would start with Java if I were you. C# is just Microsoft's slightly snazzier reverse-engineered version of java. But despite it's name it has almost nothing to do with C or C++ (those are good to learn too but java is probably a more relevant start for getting a job.)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Depends on your goals.

If you want to become a professional software developer of any variety, you'll eventually need to know both as well as others. My suggestion is to start with C++. The reason is simple: C++ facilitates both procedural and object-oriented programming methodologies. This means going from C++ to any other language will be easier than from a different starting language.

C is a procedural language. C# and Java are fully object-oriented. With C++ you can do both - you can do strictly procedural, strictly object-oriented, or mix them together. Learning C++ first will keep you away from the bad habits of average C programmers when you do need to use C, and it'll make learning a fully object-oriented language such as C# or Java a lot easier than coming from a fully procedural language like C. Odds are you'll end up learning to wield all of these languages, but for a beginner, focus on one language and don't worry about others until you need them.

If you have no professional goals and just want to dabble as a hobby, then you'd probably benefit more from C# for fast and easy forms application development. C or C++ will keep you in the console for a long time before you learn to make any GUIs.

• 8 years ago

C++ is more applicable to today's society but is an object-oriented programming (oop) language so you have a built in level of abstraction. While most people probably learned programming through Java, another oop language, I would actually advocate for a beginner to try Scheme or Python, two functional languages that are relatively straightforward. Python is a very commonly used language and it is super easy to learn. These are the two languages that advanced programming concepts are usually taught in in beginner courses at MIT, which traditionally taught Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs a famous textbook in which advanced concepts are taught through Scheme.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Simple answer: C++

I would personally advise you start with Java development for applications, or PHP for web development; both have the C-based structure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

C first and then C++

In between data structures

Source(s): C and Data Structures: A Snap Shot Oriented Treatise, N.B. venkateswarlu et al, S Chand & Co, New Delhi, India Learn Object Oriented Programming using Java:An UML based .., N.B. Venkateswarlu et al, S Chand & Co, New Delhi, India Essential Computer and IT fundamentals for Engineering and Science Students, N.B. venkateswarlu et al, S Chand & Co, New Delhi, India
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.