Kurt asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 8 years ago

How does Internet work in China?

Can people in China get around "The Great Firewall of China?"

Favorite Answer

China censors what their country can view on the Internet. If they find a website not up to their standards then they will block it. They do all of this based on a persons IP address which shows they are located in China. A way to get around this is to use a private proxy service that has servers outside of China which will show a US IP address where we are not censored when on the Internet. I know of people that have worked oversees in China that needed to access US websites and were unable to until they used a private proxy service. I'm not saying this always works but you have a pretty good chance that it will.

The only catch is that you need to get the service from outside of China before going there because once you are there, China has pretty much censored all proxy websites because they don't want you to get around their censorship.

The government implicates strict laws on what exactly can its citizens watch. They believe that too much exposure can lead to a rebellion and so they censor specific websites like facebook, twitter, youtube, google drive, etc. The only way to get around this is if you download a proxy before you get to China. you could try to find some proxies while in the country but they will most likely be blocked or work really really and I mean really slow. People who say that it's easy to get around the censorship has probably never really tried it. It's not called "The Great Firewall" for nothing. :/.

Source(s): Will be studying in China in the next few months

They can get around The Great Firewall of China(翻墙)by some means.

I am a chinese and i browser foreign website by great firewall of china

There are some places in shanghai, you could enjoy internet without "The Great Firewall of China."

If you are not in these places, VPN is nescceary for your connecting some especial sites like youtube.Try google vpn, you could set something in your firefox or chorme.

http://www.cnblogs.com/yanzhi123/archive/2013/05/1...

Here is the way to guild how to set google vpn.

頭暈 head flying on the cloudes

Suggest you get a VPN, and you may need to change, as they get found and stop working all the time. I live in China and have great difficulties. Good Luck.

I'm a Chinese and I've been using VPN for like 6 years. Almost all students here know the way to get around it. We call it " jump over the wall".

Yes, it's very had to access foreign website in China.

I am Chinese from Beijing .

We can not to browse most of the websites which are in foreign country.

You can see the most popular website in China in http://www.hao123.com/.

We use Baidu to search somethings we want to know.

We use QQ and Weixin to comunicate with our friends.

We use Weibo to show our life and what we want to share with friends .

We browse QQ, sina, 163, sohu to see some news.