Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 8 years ago

Why do you think about Trent Reznor?

Many know him, but for those who don't, he is the mastermind of Nine Inch Nails

And Mentor of Marilyn Manson and Filter

I would like to know the general public's view on my favorite music artist

Things such as:

His Music

His Talent

His Flaws (if any)

His Masterpieces

His Appearance

His Life

His Influence

And Anything Else You Would Find Interesting About Him

Ah criticism only strengthens the criticized whether it be physically, mentally, or emotionally in a positive or negative way. Those who are negative think and speak of such. Those who are positive think and speak of such. Yet there is one more kind of critic. This is what I consider myself. One who is cruel yet passionate about all his work. It is a physical yin and yang. Both positive and negative criticism combined is only attainable through a perspective where nothing is perfect yet imperfect. A perfect balance of both thought and speech is the Nirvana of the material world and will get one far in it.

• GK Dub
    Favorite Answer

Trent Reznor is an artist in every sense of the word, and I'd say he's definitely one of the best in the last 25 years. I listen to all different types of music, but NIN has been one of my absolute favorites ever since I first came across their music in 1994. His lyrics (especially in his earlier albums) pack such an emotional punch that you feel every bit of anger and sadness right there with him. You can hear the sencerity in his pain, where many of today's modern rock artists seem like they're creating angsty music to uphold some kind of image. I think 1989-1999 will always be the peak of his artistic brilliance, but I like the music that Trent has put out since then as well. It's easy to see the influence NIN had on Filter and Manson, as well as Stabbing Westward and the more recent work by Korn and Linkin Park. That being said, I'm not sure I'd care to actually meet Mr. Reznor. He seems moody and easily agitated. Plus, when it comes to politics and religion we're in completely different areas.

Trent Reznor is the perfect definition of a musical artist. His lyrics are very heavy, yet they bear so much angst. He talks of Solipsism and loneliness. Anger and depression. His music fits his lyrics perfectly. The Industrial sound in his songs give you an eerie, and ominous feeling that makes the song that much greater. I really believe that this wouldn't be possible had Nine Inch Nail been a band of multiple musicians. It would just interfere with his creative process. As a one-man-band, he has so much freedom to express himself fully. I'm not too big of a Nine Inch Nails fan (I only own the "Pretty Hate Machine" album and the "Broken" EP, though I plan on buying more), but I still am heavily influenced by Reznor. Although he isn't my favorite music artist (that would have to be Thom Yorke of Radiohead or Jack White of the White Stripes), but he is definitely in my top ten.