How to plan a trip to Australia?

I want to visit a different country for a vacation and Australia is one of the places I'm considering. Never really traveled that far before so I want as much information as possible. (I'm in the States). With my current job, I'll have about two weeks at most. Money: Should I bring cash or will... show more I want to visit a different country for a vacation and Australia is one of the places I'm considering. Never really traveled that far before so I want as much information as possible. (I'm in the States). With my current job, I'll have about two weeks at most.

Money:
Should I bring cash or will my credit card be accepted in Austraila? If I bring cash-what's a good but safe amount? Do I need to convert it when I arrive?

Places to visit and safety issues:
I know Sydney is a popular destination, but I found out about this place in Darwin that lets you swim with crocodiles that seems like it would be an incredible experience. Looking on the map, the two places are quite a distance from each other. Would it be best to focus on one city or is there easy travel between the two? And how do Australians feel about Americans? Are there places to avoid?

What's a good time of year to visit?

Any information is appreciated.
Update: The place in Darwin.They put you in a cage and then lowered into a tank with the crocodiles. It's the same thing they do with sharks but its at a zoo.
Update 2: Search on youtube for Crocosaurus Cove Darwin Australia