promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Teacup yorkies dogs ?

Hello, so I was thinking about getting a teacup yorkie but I was wondering if someone could explain the deal on them? How long do they live, how big do they get bla bla bla, just all the details in general really. No smart comments and thanks in advance to anyone who answers my question! :)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

There is no such thing as a "teacup". They are only RUNTS.

Back Yard Breeder's and Puppy Mills tell you that there is such a thing because they know people will go for it and believe that it's a real thing and that they're getting a designer dog, when really, all they're getting is a runt that most likely has a lot of health problems. For example, some people will argue that Poodles come in 4 sizes: Teacup, Miniature, Toy, and Standard. But they really only come in 3 sizes, and no legitimate registry would recognize a teacup dog.

If you want a purebred dog, contact some breeders who actively show their dogs. Such as AKC or UKC shows or some other legitimate registry. Ask them as many questions as you can possibly think of. Any good breeder would also likely have some questions to ask you as well, and they wouldn't mind being asked questions about their animals, even if it took all day.

If you don't care either way if the dog is purebred or not, I would suggest looking through a shelter. There are thousands of dogs put to sleep in the US alone because nobody adopts them in time or because there is no room.

AKC - http://www.akc.org/breeds/yorkshire_terrier/

Yorkshire Terrier Club of America - http://www.ytca.org/frame_index2.html

Yorkshire Terrier National Rescue Inc. - http://www.yorkierescue.com/

Source(s): Proud American Pit Bull Terrier Owner Oregon Humane Society Youth Volunteer Family Friend breeds and shows AKC registered Silky Terriers
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

They don't live very long. They are HORRIBLY bred. They DO NOT EXIST and most of them either come with, or develop serious health issues very early on in life, or sometimes during their life.

Teacup is just a name/marketing scheme used to scam people into buying an abnormally small dog. That's all teacups are, "abnormally small dogs" because they are bred to be abnormally small, they are prone to tons of health issues, and body/physical and mental malformations. Only backyard breeders use the term "Teacup" and only a backyard breeder would breed a dog, so abnormally small, it's unhealthy. These sickly dogs are often times sold at exorbitant prices, but what people don't know, is that they'll be spending more, just to keep the dog alive. Teacups are created by breeding the smallest "runt" of a litter to another or the same of the litter, often times inbreeding is used because it seals in the "small trait". The horrid way these dogs are bred, coupled w/ other things, make them horrid dogs to get.

• 8 years ago

Since only sleazy, dishonest dirtbag backyard breeders and puppy mills sell "teacup" Yorkies, they are generally unhealthy and don't live as long as healthy well bred purebred Yorkies.

Here is a good article from the National Yorkshire Terrier Club

http://www.ytca.org/faq.html

ADD Allison - there is no reputable honest breeder on the planet who breeds "teacup yokies". Not one!

• cen5
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Yorkshire Terriers are already one of the smallest dog breeds on the planet. Why the hell would you want an even smaller version.

'Teacup' dogs are bred by unscrupulous breeders who breed the smallest, sickest, puniest dogs together to create a tiny specimen. Once these breeders have your money they couldn't care less what hapens to the dog. As long as it lives long enough for them to sell it, they don't care.

A teacup dog is lucky to live longer than a couple of years. They are all riddled with health problems associated with their unnatural size.

DO youself a favour, contact the KC and get a proper, ful sized Yorkie from a reputable breeder.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Alison
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

cen5 is mostly right. There are some reputable breeders of teacup yorkies but you really don't plan on spending $2K on a dog do you?

In particular these dealers only breed papered AKC qualified dogs (basically show dogs.) I know someone who owned two of them and they were very healthy and I believe they each lived about nine years. (By comparison my pet rabbits have lived twelve years.)

I also know two people who bought teacup yorkies from "other folks" and neither of the dogs lasted more than a year and a half and died of breeding issues.

• kelly
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Who knows how long it will live , they often have numerous health problems and many die premenantly . How big do they get ? Er , not very . 2-3lb maybe . That's why some moronic people call them 'teac cup ' , obviously . Really there nothing more then undersized badly bred runts .

Not really much else to say really apart from their a product of the BYB market bred to fulfill the needs of people like your self . Sad really .

• 8 years ago

Teacup yorkies are little dogs who could fit in a teacup, that's where they get their name. They are sold from anywhere from $200-$2,000. They are a purse type of dog and very popular because of their teddy bear face. The can get up to probably 5 pound depending on what you feed them. I love this breed of dogs and would recommend them to anyone!

• Pamela
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Do not exist, are runts of litters and do not live long.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

they die early.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.