Genesis asked in SportsMartial Arts · 8 years ago

Do I need a BJJ background to compete in submission grappling?

I only train in Judo and Wrestling. Can I still compete in submission grappling

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Antwan
    Lv 4
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

you'll have a good base. Not a lot of submissions in Judo, but there are a few. There's quite a bit in catch wrestling, but, standard "olympic wrestling" doesn't tend to teach many.

You'll want to get really good at top down submissions (submissions from side control, for example)

Here's a menu screen with lots of different side controls, and submissions therein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotat...

• Login to reply the answers
  • Donald
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

No, but you're not going to do very good without it. Wrestling and judo are fine, but where are you going to learn the submissions from? As noted, that's not judo's strong point and there aren't any submissions in wrestling. So you'll be able to take your opponent down with judo or wrestling, then dominate him on the ground with wrestling. But how will you submit him.

Beyond that, how are you going to counter the moves of someone who knows BJJ? And most folks--even people who are highly skilled in wrestling--feel uncomfortable on their backs. With a strong grounding in BJJ, it's likely you will, too.

• 8 years ago

If you compete in Judo and wrestling then you might have a pretty good base. My only concern would be submission defense, as long as you can avoid BJJ submissions then you might be alright.

• 8 years ago

No, although it would help alot.

You can compete in submission grappling with judo and grappling background.

Source(s): my brain ;)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

No. However, because BJJ is so common in submission grappling tournaments, it would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with BJJ techniques so you don't get any nasty surprises when you're in competition.

• Kate
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

In judo you don't generally dont mai waza(ground) too much, refs usually stand u up pretty quick. For a judo tournament just continue doing as much rondori as you can and outside of that try to only do cardio otherwise your mind wont really be focused on judo because if you start training other better martial arts like jiujitsu youll be bored shitless when your taking judo and finally have an epiphany of how much judo blows. not that i dont like knowing the throws, its just not that great because I trained mma before i started judo and u only feel half full when u learn such a restrictive martial art as judo.

• 8 years ago

No, but it would be good to learn and drill defense against submissions that don't exist in competitive judo such as guillotines and leglocks.

Source(s): Me
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.