John asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Why is the GOP congress so anti-environment?

Global temperatures are rising, violent weather is increasing, chemicals are in the air, asthma and cancer rates are soaring, forest lands are vanishing and there are increased dead zones in the ocean, yet the GOP majority has voted:

77 votes to undermine Clean Air Act protections

39 votes to weaken protection of public lands and wildlife

37 votes to block action to address climate change, including votes to block information from the EPA describing how climate change affects human health

31 votes to undermine the Clean Water Act protections

huffingtonpost.com/richard-schiffman/congress-environment_b_1611604.html

Update:

To d.k., those are the number of bills passed. It would make no sense to post this if I meant only 77 of 292 voted this way...

Update 2:

By the way, you certainly are cool by saying I "flunked fractions" when you could have instead just simply asked what I meant. I hope you are proud of yourself because you can bash someone over a misinterpretation.

Update 3:

The Return of The Ghost, you are joking... To claim global warming is a farce is ridiculous. You can believe that, but you will be shutting up fairly quickly when the west coast faces massive floods and the east coast as well. It is proven by facts and science, just like evolution. But wait--- the GOP doesn't traditionally believe in either of the two... That really says something about the general intelligence and open mindedness of the far right wingers. Hope your home is in Florida. Cheers.

Update 4:

d.k., That doesn't remove the fact it has been the most anti-environmental congress in history. In fact, the most essential methods to protecting the environment (that all of Europe has practically adopted) such as Cap & Trade have been struck down. There have been a record number of filibusters in the last 4 years with 112, 106, 108, and 104. While there may have been some bills passed, the most important ones to protecting the environment have been abandoned primarily because of republican filibusters.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Because Global Warming is not a man made phenomenon. EPA and FDA are nothing but government thugs who enforce overbearing regulations and drive people out of business. Stupid liberals won't be happy until the government tells them what time to take a dump!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Climate change is a farce, I did not know that there were flat Earthers out there still pimping that.

The war on coal has shut down W VA and parts of Kentucky. Each time you you squeeze coal you increase the price of everything.

The cleanest form of energy on Earth is natural gas. But before you even could put together a decent fairytale your side began claiming that fracking was causing everything from earthquakes to buttwarts.

I could could go on about the money the Dems and Obama have pushed to their buddies in the form of graft; i mean alternative energy grants.

Destroying American business and jobs in the name of phony environmentalism si something that should be stopped.

• d.k.
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

That's out of a membership of 292 Republicans currently in the Congress --

How in the heck do you call that maximum number of 77 "the majority"???

Flunked fractions in elementary school? Oh, yeah -- guess it wasn't really

you, it was the HuffPo idiot you were reading from.

Edit: O.K. then, let's look at that -- there have been 208 Environmental

Protection Bills so far in the 112th Congress, according to GovTrack.us.

You -- and Huff&Puff still don't have "the majority".

Edit2: Actually, yes -- it does "strike the fact" that this has been the most

"anti-environmental" congress in history -- you must not know much U.S.

environmental history either.

I don't know how old you are, but I am among those of the age group that grew up

with smoke stacks belching "God knows what" in many major U.S. urban

industrial cities -- like Cleveland and Pittsburgh among many, many others;

and that had working oil rigs in RESIDENTIAL areas and leaky oil tankers

in harbors in California and Texas and other places -- many of them producing

COPIOUS amounts of oil tar that wound up on beaches and stuck to kid's feet

and sunbather's bodies most weekends and holidays of the year

(and that was cleaned off of us "quite easily" with either full-strength gasoline,

kerosene, or turpentine besides.);

that had lead in every single gallon of gasoline

sold in this country for the "benefit" of an automobile's "engine performance";

that saw the Cuyahoga River in Ohio and parts of Lake Erie literally on fire and burning

from the industrial wastes and oils dumped in it -- and was the incident that

spawned the existance of EPA in the first place, by the way;

that wondered if Three Mile Island would meltdown completely

and kill us all;

that had 100's of thousands of giddy kids across the country

riding bikes and skates chasing behind tanker trucks fogging entire communities

regularly with DDT to kill mosquitoes.

In fact, at one point in my life, I lived less than 30 feet from a military ammo

depot the size of a city block, buried under a field and

protected by little more that your standard 6 ft. chain link fence, and the occasional

military jeep patrol drive-by --- right smack dap in the middle of a neighborhood

in the middle of the city of Los Angeles.

I could go on, and on, and on..

But, you don't know, and don't want to know about any of that, anyway, I am sure!

ALL you want to do is blame ONE party of the past ONE TERM of Congress

for what is not even just a U.S. problem, but is a GLOBAL pollution problem

that is at least 100+ years, even more years in the making.

I stand by my assertion that neither you, nor the HuffPo producer

of your stats could be terribly bright.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Environmentalism is a broad philosophy, ideology and social movement regarding concerns for environmental conservation and improvement of the health of the environment, particularly as the measure for this health seeks to incorporate the concerns of non-human elements. Environmentalism advocates the preservation, restoration and/or improvement of the natural environment, and may be referred to as a movement to control pollution. For this reason, concepts such as a land ethic, environmental ethics, biodiversity, ecology and the biophilia hypothesis figure predominantly. At its crux, environmentalism is an attempt to balance relations between humans and the various natural systems on which they depend in such a way that all the components are accorded a proper degree of respect. The exact nature of this balance is controversial and there are many different ways for environmental concerns to be expressed in practice. Environmentalism and environmental concerns are often represented by the color green, but this association has been appropriated by the marketing industries and is a key tactic of greenwashing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jesus
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

They use religion as an excuse for ignorance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.