Is it popular in today's society to hate Christians and their beliefs?

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Insulting people for believing on what they think is right is just wrong. Almost every question here in R/S section has some user mocking Christians and the Bible, making them look retarded (sorry for the use of the word) or worse. When atheists... show more I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Insulting people for believing on what they think is right is just wrong.

Almost every question here in R/S section has some user mocking Christians and the Bible, making them look retarded (sorry for the use of the word) or worse. When atheists generalize about Christians by saying all of them are ignorant, it's alright, but God forbid it's the other way around.

Christians don't try to convert when they preach. They preach to spread what they believe is right. Most people find that annoying but isn't ignoring them enough?

No matter what people say, Christians today have it worse. I understand that this wasn't the case long ago, that atheists were on the receiving end of the persecution, but that was long ago, and to hate today's Christians for the mistakes that other people made centuries ago is wrong, especially since atheist claim to be the more tolerant, more respectful, than Christians.

Is the hating just a trend or are people really this cruel?