What are my chances of getting into Duke University?

I would really love to go to Duke University because I heard that it has a really good medical program. The one thing that I'm not so sure of are my chances for getting in.

I'm an incoming Junior high school. I had a 3.4 GPA in sophmore year.

My classes were: AP European History (A), Latin (A), Spanish (A), Advanced Chemistry (C), Advanced Algebra 2 (C), Advanced English & Greek and Roman Epic Literature (A), and then other misc. electives were all A's or above. As you can see, math related subjects are my weak point.

I got a 3 on my AP European History test, which I am really disappointed in because I studied so hard for it.

I am also a current member of Duke TIP (Talent Identification Program)

• Julie
    Best Answer

Hello! I'm a freshman at Duke so hopefully I can help you out.

I am going to be really honest with you... it is going to be very difficult to get into Duke with a 3.4 GPA and a C on your transcript. They only accept 11% of the 30000 people who apply, and a large number of these people have near perfect GPAs and SAT scores.

Take higher level math classes in junior and senior year, and study hard to do well in them so you can show them that you can improve. You are going to need a perfect junior and senior year GPA to make up for the C's. What extracurriculars are you involved in? You will need an activity that shows your passion (whether sports, volunteering, debate, etc).

On the bright side: The AP exam isn't going to matter at all, its just for placement. Junior year is what matters most for colleges. Your SAT score, if high enough, can give you a chance.

Look into Duke more and see whether its a good fit for you, because going there just because you want to be a doctor isn't going to help you take the biggest advantages of your opportunities. Good luck!

• olympe

Chances Of Getting Into Duke

Make your junior year count. It's your last full year to really showcase your academic prowess before you send in an application. Math is my weak point as well, but unless you try to get into the engineering school at Duke I don't think it will necessarily make the difference between getting in and being rejected. For reference, I had a 3.8 GPA, 2120 SAT, 2 Bs on my transcript (math), and took a total of 7 AP courses and received five 5s and two 4s. I only managed a 660 on the Math I SAT II. Keep in mind, however, that there isn't a formula to getting into a particular college. Make yourself stand out with extra curricular activities, great recommendations, and essays. Don't count yourself out!

Source(s): Accepted at Duke
  • eri

To become a doctor, you need to first earn a bachelors degree (any major and the premed classes). You can do that at any 4-year college or university. Then after college, you apply to med school. Duke does have a good medical program, but going there for college doesn't mean you'll get into their med school (it does not increase your chances of admission). Your GPA is too low for a top school.

It's really hard...We've got around a 11% admit rate man. Honestly, it's all luck. Good luck!

Source(s): Current undergrad junior