Native Americans, can you please answer ? Totems question?

I wanted to start of by saying my family has documented Native ancestry - on my father's side, it's Muscogee-Creek, and on my mother's side, it's Cherokee; I am Black Native but the elders of my family died long before I was even born so I never could learn things from them so basically; I don't... show more I wanted to start of by saying my family has documented Native ancestry - on my father's side, it's Muscogee-Creek, and on my mother's side, it's Cherokee; I am Black Native but the elders of my family died long before I was even born so I never could learn things from them so basically; I don't know my heritage much.

However, I have been trying to get in touch with my African and Native ancestry via family tree tracing and researching. I came across cultural appropriation of Native culture and it opened my eyes to a lot that I kind of already knew.

The question I had was , is there really such a thing as "animal totems?"Did Native Americans of any tribe ever have such things ? Did they believe that people have animal guides(totems) as well? I ask because I know there are white people who pose as being Native American with this new age shamanistic stuff just to get money from people and Totems seem to have been appropriated??????