I hate helping out at our family business, help me?

it's my mom's nail salon and i absolutely hate it without a doubt. she makes me help her do nails, manicures and pedicures and it's tiring and i get so bored of it. i am only 14 and while other kids are with their friends, i'm stuck in this place. i have no passion for it and i feel as if my childhood is being taken away. she really wants me to do nails and she says its for back up and stuff but i'm not even good at it and i feel like i wish my life ended already! i hate it so much! i have told her that i hate it so much but she obviously does not care. she's my mom and i want to help her. i told her i would work at a cashier at our local grocery store to help with bills if she really needs help with that but she says no and that she'd rather me work here. HELP ME. i feel like dying. high school. university is coming. and then my future job. and then death. on top of that, my parents expect me to get straight a's. life actually sucks.

Favorite Answer

Although you are only 14 years old ,I am sure that you realize that we do not always have the luxury to do only the things we want to do.That sometimes we have things we do not like or want to do. This is one of such situations that you are faced with.While I do understand your dilemma,I believe that you can arrive at some type of compromise with your mother.1)Tell her that you are willing to help anyway you can. 2) Tell her that although she wants you to work in the nail salon,you are not good at it and would only mess things up for her and her customers.That this would only cost her her customers. 3) Tell her that you are willing to help her set up the store or close it at the end of business or clean up the equipment. 4) In addition that you are willing to get a job to help with some of the bills and not to forget that you still have to go to school and are expected to make good grades. Finally let her know that you do not have enough hours in the day to do everything but are trying to make some sacrifices to help at home. You can pick and choose to use one or more of the ideas above that you feel meets with your approval.

• amiga

buck up, nailgirl. I know exactly how you feel. My parents forced me to work at their day care, restaurant and their old folks home. Yeah. Fun.

You know what, the stuff I learned has helped me get ahead in life. I hated it at the time, but they put a roof over my head, so I owed them. Now I own a buisness and unlike most people in my field, I'm successful because I've seen how you do it. I'm not reinventing the wheel. I have the market cornered and I have my parents to thank for it.

God bless them for forcing me to work at 13. It was a gift. I just didn't know it at the time.

This problem calls for outside family intervention.Hopefully you can discuss this with another adult family member or older adult who can intervene on your behalf.

Source(s): Family problems of my own.