POLL: Have you ever self harmed?

Sorry if this is an intrusive question. I was just wondering. And please no 'that is for weak pathetic people' or 'only attention seekers do that' because that is 100% not true, many people do it because of all the horrid emotions storming up inside them, and to try and prevent themselves from doing something worse to themselves before their anxiety and feelings become too much. For some people it is in their mind their only form of escape to try and get those feelings out of them and try to calm the hysteria going on inside of them. Of course it is never a good solution as it becomes a coping mechanism that is addictive and it very easily spirals out of control because the person ends up turning to it whenever they have these feelings to try and calm themselves down and to try and see clearly. And no it is most definetly not only 'emos' who do this. Many are people in good jobs or with good education. A lot of medicine students even exhibit this behaviour because of all the stress they are put through. Many people hide this from people for years and years because of the stigma and harsh harsh judgement attached.

And be honest, you shouldn't feel like a bad person for it. Of course it is a bad thing to do to yourself, but it doesn't make you a bad person

Best Answer

No, I've felt like self-harming a couple of times though but I didn't actually do it.

No. I have come within inches of committing suicide before though. I had the gun and was ready to pull the trigger but then I reconsidered and just went and cried myself to sleep instead. I have been to group therapy before and have seen people of all stripes who cut themselves and are going through a tough time right now. I got rid of the gun so don't worry about that.

Note: I admire the courage of people here who are talking about it. Thumbs up for every one of them. :)

Source(s): Recovering 25 year old manic depressive.

Not to a great extent as others might have, but definitely started spiraling down that cliff.... Thankfully I stopped myself before it could get worse. I agree with you ^.^ Very true

Yes and in fact, I still do. I started cutting when I was 14 for several reasons; mainly because of my anxiety.

Lots, but not on purpose

Source(s): DIY enthusiast

Yes.

I still do.