Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 8 years ago

Invites for a second wedding/wording?

Hi all. My husband and I are throwing a do-over wedding for us and our family and friends. Thankfully because of inheritance, we will be able to provide all accommodations, travel expenses, etc. We have it all planned, we just need some funny wording.

And before you all decide to bite my head off and say that do-overs are tacky, here's my story:

My hubby and I were to be married on October 15, 2011. On October 12, three days before, I suddenly had a high fever, was vomiting uncontrollably, started having seizures, stiff neck, hot and cold, the whole nine. We thought it was the flu, but it turned out to be bacterial meningitis. Friends and family were there from out of town, out of state, and my aunt and uncle, out of country. I was in the ER hanging on for dear life on the day that we were supposed to be married. A week later, totally unaware as to what was going on. The doctors thought I wasn't going to make it, so my hubby and I, out of love and sentiment, decided to just get married right then and there, so he called our officiant and we made it happen. I don't remember any of it. I was losing circulating in my arms and legs and was still fighting for survival for days on end, it seemed. Finally, after 2 weeks, the doctors were able to contain the infection. I lost 2 toes on my left foot, a good portion of my right foot, the tops of my pinky and ring finger on my left hand, and luckily, nothing on my right. I have to walk with a cane, sometimes a walker, and sometimes, I will use a wheelchair if it gets too painful. I got out of the hospital in January and have been on the road to recovery ever since.

We have now planned for a second wedding in October. We joke about our "first wedding" and I keep joking that it didn't count because I couldn't remember. I have kept a positive attitude and sense of humor about it, as has my husband (yes, it's official, we have the license and everything and my name is changed). We just want the wedding that we thought we were going to have before this happened. Again, everything will be provided for our guests. All the tickets have been purchased and hotels booked. We just want some funny wording for our invites that we need to send out ASAP!

Thanks for listening and answering.

Perse: You're a witch. The family understands completely what happened. THEY still want us to have the celebration that we never got to have. It's not that the big wedding is the most important thing to us; weddings in my family are a BIG deal in general. It was a time for our family to be together and celebrate but instead, they all thought it was to be a funeral. I'm looking for wording, but I figured without the back story and how cruel people can be on here, I would be sunk.

Thanks Sailor Mercury for understanding the question. My husband and I laughed at your idea!

Also, to clear one more thing up, there will be no presents given. We have formally requested that from all our guests.

Favorite Answer

You are AWESOME for keeping your head up about this. I'm hoping that no one "bites your head off" for this...

How about:

"We would appreciate your presence (again) at the wedding of

Mr and Mrs John Smith

October -- (same month as the last one!) 2012

at --:--am/pm

Hopefully this time around, there will actually BE a wedding! Cross your fingers!

That's all I could come up with, LOL! If your family took it like you did and are doing, this should be a nice little chuckle for everyone. Again, congrats and I hope you DO get the wedding of your dreams.

This is indeed the one circumstance in which a wedding do-over is something I can get on board with. Most would have simply postponed the wedding to see if you would get better, and when. Your hubby wanted to be married with you, literally in sickness before health, and got it done. It is a little tricky to come up with the wording as you're already united in marriage.

I like the idea, too, of "You are cordially invited (again) to the wedding of Jenna Jones and Harry Harrison, October 12, 2012..."

Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness to you both!

I question why you want "funny wording" for something so serious.

Why not just go with something nice...not too formal...but not funny.

Katie and Jim Johnson

invite you to share a day of celebration

as they renew their wedding vows

Saturday, August 25, 2012

at 4 o'clock in the afternoon

Lakeshore Country Club

111 Lakeshore Drive

Tampa, Florida

A reception will immediately follow the ceremony.

I seriously doubt that Perse even read the question.

You've been through hell and deserve this. You poor thing. I don't care that I get a million TD's; these people on here have no clue as to the proper way of handling this. You almost lost your life, for heaven's sake and people are treating you like scum for wanting to officially celebrate your union together!

I like Sailor's idea. It's funny and upbeat.

As usual, Perse is being a pathetic douche who probably didn't read the entire question.

I agree with Sailor Mercury's idea.

Yours is one of the circumstances where I would APPROVE of a do-over...and everyone understands WHY it's a do'over. Pretty awesome you're able to bring your guests to your "do it right" ceremony.

• Grin

Wow! What an incredible love story!

I would just say On October 15, 2011 we went to hell and back! Please join us as we celebrate and renew our vows at the wedfing we dreamed of and reflect on our journey over the last year.

After reading your story I was glad you survived and got married at the time and I want to wish you and your husband a long and happy marriage, Good Luck

John & Mary Smith would like to invite you to their belated wedding

It doesn't matter why you feel you deserve a second wedding, it just isn't possible. The celebration is only meaningful when two people are actually united in marriage. After that, it's just phony and pathetic. If the big wedding had been more important to you, you both had the option to choose that, but you chose to be married as you did. Live with the consequences of YOUR actions.