Wife wants to look for men on craigslist!!! Help?

We have some issues with both our front and back yards, and we think we need to lay down some fresh dirt to help them. My wife wants to order 30 cubic yards of topsoil/dirt to spread around on these troubled areas. 30 cubic yards is a lot of dirt so she wants to put an ad on craigslist to find 5 guys for day labor for a day and offer $100 cash to each (knowing her I'm sure she will include food & drinks and such). However 5 guys, 30 cubic yards, means each guy would have to move 6 cubic yards each. So, here are my questions....

Do you think one guy can move 6 cubic yards of dirt in one day?

Is $100 cash a fair and reasonable rate for this kind of work?

A cubic yard of dirt is between 2,025 to 2,700 lbs. So, each guy would have to move 6 - 7 tons of dirt using a shovel and a wheel barrow.

Favorite Answer

I'm in my fifties and can move six cubic yards of dirt in one day. However, I will no longer do it for $100 bucks. For some guy that needs the money, it's not a bad gig.

She is fooling herself if she thinks she'll get the thunder from down under on Craigslist to move dirt. Pretty boys don't work like men, they could break a nail or something. She will find hard working men that should have that top soil spread out and leveled in about 6 hours. Does she know Spanish?

She will have to ride each and every one of them to do her right. Many times these guys try doing a quick and dirty job without the customer being truly satisfied. She needs to check their equipment and supervise each ones moves until all her low spots are filled properly. No hourly rates. Payment is made upon complete satisfaction.

I'll help, but in a less traditional way.

You go out and supervise the laborers, and I'll deal with that job in the house you've been neglecting.

Yes, i'll tear up her carpet while you watch Juan, Jose, Carlos, the other Juan, and Pedro.

Source(s): You're welcome.

is there a conversion chart for how cubic yards would equate into gallons or liters of Bacardi? that's about as far as i can get with new math.

**read this guy ^^ very last sentence.. i love it!

She better hire someone older than 35. This dang 25 year old I have to work with is lazy as crap.

Wouldn't it be easier to call a landscaping company and have them assess your yard. Maybe you don't need that much soil...hiring from craigslist.. Good luck with that.

• Boum

Sorry, sir, I am stuck at "... and such".

...

For that "and such" thing, wouldn't it be better she looks in her contacts list instead ?

Seems reasonable. Will she be pulling a train?