Boo asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

How to rewrite this french sentence to sound less like wikipedia?

Hi!

So, I got this sentence from french wikipedia:

"Elle a été instituée par la loi en 1880, celle du 14 juillet 1790, c'est un jour d'union nationale lors de la Fête de la Fédération." It's about Bastille day.. :)

How could I rewrite this sentence to make it sound more like something a student, who's been learning french for a year, would write?

Merci beaucoup!! :D

Correction: Your neighbours :) I live in Australia

Favorite Answer

"La loi de 1880 a établi la Fête Nationale le 14 juillet, en mémoire de la Fête de la Fédération du 14 juillet 1790, journée d'union nationale ."

This is a proposal, including clearly every element, and with rather simple words .

Source(s): I'm French

The obvious way to make it sound like you wrote it would be for you to write it. How about writing what you want to say in English, then translating to the best of YOUR ability? Something like "the first Bastille Day was celebrated in 1880".

I don't know French. Why didn't you take Spanish? They're our neighbors to the South for gods sake.