Can someone who works overseas go to jail if they do not pay the taxes on the job they performed?

I have a friend that is a US citizen, who took a contract in London and worked for approx 41 days. He was paid by check. When my friend was at the airport to come back to the states, he said the IRS stopped him from boarding. He did not pay the taxes on the contract he was paid for. I am wondering if this is a... show more I have a friend that is a US citizen, who took a contract in London and worked for approx 41 days. He was paid by check. When my friend was at the airport to come back to the states, he said the IRS stopped him from boarding. He did not pay the taxes on the contract he was paid for. I am wondering if this is a fraudulent statement. He said he would go to jail if he did not pay. He said he has to pay 10% of what he made. He also told me no bank would cash his check, that he could only cash it from his bank here in the states. He said they froze his bank acct and his credit card companies froze his acct til he could verify who he is. He said the verification could only be done when he was back home. Could this be a scam to try to get money from people in the states? What he has told me doesnt make sense, but I could be wrong. I would appreciate any info anyone has on this subject.