How can I protect to transfer my cold to my 10 weeks old baby? cause I'm brest feeding ?

Favorite Answer

By breastfeeding, you are protecting your baby. Your baby would have been exposed to the cold before you even realized you had it, so just keep feeding! The anti bodies you make to fight the infection will be passed on through your breast milk, helping build your baby's immunity. There are very few illnesses with which you would have to stop breastfeeding, so unless suggested by your doctor, breastfeeding is the best defence.

• Lizzy

Please don't let my answer freak you out !

When my baby was 8 weeks old I had a really bad cold. I was breastfeeding and jud tried to stay away from her when I wasn't feeding her, however she caught it

Within days she developed bronchiolitis which is a respiratory infection in the lungs. He struggled to breathe and was taken to a&e. She was put in an oxygen tent and had feeding tubes put up her nose into her stomach. Over the next two days she got worse and had to be resuscitated in front of me. It was the most horrifying moment of my life. She stayed poorly for another week but at 9 days she was well enough to come home

Now weather is better it's unlikely to happen again but I'm so worried it could as her chest is susceptible to viruses

My answer is to take as much care as possible. Wash your hands and face before you hold her, feed her and then put her in playgym, swing etc. Wash everything you wear after one day and anything you touch that she could also hold such as her toys

Breastfeeding is best for baby and my daughter benefited from the protection I had given her but the virus was so strong

Keep track of what baby is feeding. When they have stuffy nose theystruggle to feed and can get dehydrated easily. If it gets to less than 50% of normal go to the hospital, if she starts to struggle breathing dial 999. Do not be afraid to do that !

What you can do to help is elevate the head end of her Moses basket a little so her head is higher and also let hubby hold her in a steamed up bathroom. Both will help her airways stay open and free if she does get stuffy

I'm sure your baby will be fine, just bit of common sense about cleaning and keeping your distance and observation of how your baby is should she catch your cold x

Source(s): EDIT- my daughter is now 6 1/2 months old and shows no sign of any problems from being resuscitated

Keep nursing. You will give the baby antibodies you are making right now. I've never had my kids catch anything like that form me & I've been very very sick while nursing a tiny baby a few times. Don't worry momma - worry about taking care of you & just feeding your baby.

• Ellen

Breastfeeding is the best protection you can give her. Wash your hands well and frequently and follow good hygiene and she should be fine. The antibodies in your milk were passed on to her long before you knew you were getting sick.

Source(s): hospital IBCLC and mothers' group leader 20+ years mom to 3

Take a big towel and tie it around ur face covering ur mouth and nose. Befor handling the baby wash ur hands.. Feed the baby well..

Don't breath or talk over the child and wash your body well before doing so

A better question is how can you learn to speak proper English.