Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 8 years ago

is it bad to tailgate.explain?

One of my friends keeps on telling me it is okay to tailgate.he says only retards like u dont tailgate when.they drive,think its okay not to.do..it..he says everyone tailgates .he says it improves traffic,and u r not breaking any law.and he keeps on telling me u r a sorry sight,amd cant find your place in life.that he has good opinions, u that I have never been right about anything,and what r u trying to look smart.he tells me I should stay away from.driving because he has the rep for it.

Is he right.explain.

Favorite Answer

Tailgating is illegal in many states. And is extremely dangerous. Driving is extremely dangerous to begin with. At any moment an animal, child, tree limb, etc may appear in the middle of the road. What you're supposed to do is just hit the breaks and not swerve. If there is someone tailgating you, they probably won't have time to stop, and then ram their car into the back of yours. Jolts like that are dangerous to people, especially for small children and the elderly.

From a legal standpoint, you can be found to be in violation of ACDA (assured clear distance ahead) or similar charges. This may only be a misdemeanor in places such as Ohio, getting you a $150 ticket plus court costs, but chances are that won't be all. Unless the other driver is doing something blatantly illegal, such as driving drunk, any damages from the accident caused by your tailgating are now all on you. If you don't have insurance to pay for everything, the court can, and will order you to pay for the repairs to the other car (possibly medical bills too). Plus your insurance rate will skyrocket. To give you an idea of how much the repairs will be: I was rear-ended by a tailgater, not even head on. The total cost was $5,100.

Don't get me started on if someone is killed. A vehicular homicide charge is not something you want to deal with.

Long story short, tailgating is so much more trouble that it is worth. You're putting other people, yourself, your wallet, and your future at risk.

Source(s): was victim of a tailgating accident and have done a lot of research on the subject

There is no advantage to tailgating and plenty of reasons not to. Even following a bit close has its risks. We were on vacation in California a couple weeks ago and a car on the freeway was following me a bit too closely for his safety. A large chunk of debris (maybe from the car of a tailgater before us - he he) was in the road and I maneuvered around it. The guy behind me suddenly saw it materialize in front of his car with no time to react, and he ran over it. I don't know if it did any damage.

Following even a little too closely is really bad news when "everybody" does it. I came across the results twice in the one week in California. When people are following within about a second or less of the car in front their reaction time is more than the time between cars. That causes minor changes in traffic speed to build up, causing the freeway to suddenly come to a stop for no apparent reason. I saw it a lot when I was on the 580 freeway at rush hour when I lived in the Bay Area.

If he doesn't think tailgating is illegal or unsafe he has no clue about driving - it is both. If you could buy his driving skills for what they are worth and sell them for what he thinks they are worth you could make a fortune. It's a good thing not many drivers are as clueless as he is.

Source(s): 40 years on the road.

In most states it is against the law to tailgate; first what he is also getting is the exhaust from the car in front of him-& this can make you tired sooner. Second if the car in front has to suddenly stop he will not have time to break & stop w/out hitting the car in front of him... the space between cars is in the driving manual.. Right now he has been lucky - but things change as well as luck. You can report him for hassling U on the highway... don't know what good that will do.. but find the driving manual & U can tell him where to go Look.

100+ car pileups = at least 99 drivers that need more driving experience! Any questions?

If you drive behind me and don't inform me, ask me or at the very least let me in on the fact that you are a sane driver that is only trying to save gas by slip streaming, drafting or whatever racecar wannabes are trying to do these days.

No one will ever know if the driver in front has PTSD, is in fear of being followed by a drug lord or simply is having a bad day.

EVERYONE needs to be concerned with what I just said.

L.A. drivers are stressed because of traffic, work, home life.

Do not tailgate

Source(s): Hyper driver/professional driver
  • Dan B

Your friend is an idiot and to use his term, a retard looking for his place in life. Tailgating is illegal everywhere in the civilized driving society. His reaction time isn't that good to avoid rear-ending the car in front of him. So, when an accident occurs, traffic flow is not improved.

He is completely wrong. Tailgating does not improve traffic- especially when their is a car crash and the police need to close down the road.

Well, your friend is mistaken (I could use other words....) If you tailgate someone and they stop suddenly you will hit them. You will have a really hard time proving that they are in the wrong.

I don't think your "friend" is a very nice person- he is an idiot and also trying to make you feel small.

purely examining those solutions are going to furnish me a nightmare thinking of if those musicians shaped a band. Worst Vocalist: Chad Kroeger Worst Drummer: Meg White (despite if I do purely like the White Stripes) Worst Bassist: Nikki Sixx Worst Guitarist: Herman Lee

It is breaking a law.

It is bad.

It can cause an accident in which you die.

And he is not your friend, because friends don't try to get their friends to do something that will make them die.

Well if you think his arguments are so good then clearly you should listen to him. Clearly it isn't bad when you consider his great reasons.