?
? asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 7 years ago

How would i go about becoming a Canadian Citizen?

Hello there!

I am currently an American born male attending high school in the United States of America, and im highly interested in obtaining a Canadian citizenship down the road. Although id love the opportunity to be a student in canada (university), I would like to become a citizen eventually (always been a dream of mine since i was young).

I was wondering how i might go about making this happen, I speak english, but am fluent in french, as well as know my Canadian history extremely well (when becoming a citizen is a dream of yours, you tend to take some of the steps early).

At any rate, i would love to hear some of your insight as to what my journey of getting into Canada might entail. Id be honored to be a functioning member of your great society.

~Roy

I also am aware, sometimes becoming a skilled worker can greatly improve your opportunities within the country. That is something id be more then willing to look into, for all i want to do is be part of your society, in whatever matter i can.

Best Answer

It's a multi-stage process.

First you need a way that'll legally entitle you to live in Canada.

For someone your age, you best best is a Study Permit to attend a Canadian University.

In order to legally remain in Canada after you graduate, you'll need Permanent Resident status.

The Government of Canada has a special option for that called Canadian Experience Class.

Link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.a...

One you have Permanent Resident status you can live here the rest of your life.

But you'll have limited rights and freedoms.

To make the jump to full citizenship, you'll need to meet the requirements for that:

Link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/index.asp

But like the old saying goes: Good things come to those who wait.

The key to every success is careful planning, so be careful about double-checking the requirements for each step in the process and making sure you meet them.

Best of luck and since wishes for your future success.

And even though it's a bit premature, let me the first to welcome you home to Canada.

• bw022

Information on obtaining a study permit and applying for permanent residency are on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site. Start by reading these.

A four year university degree will cost around $160,000+ in Canada ($25,000 for eight months tuition, plus $15,000 in living costs). You'll need to start by figuring out how you are going to pay for this. Otherwise the plan is moot.

You can look here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/english/index

You can fund your education in Canada with US students loans and scholarships are also available.

well roy boy contact Canada immigration for rules of application.

You cannot move to Canada until you learn the proper usage of the conjunction "but": "I speak english, but am fluent in french". Also you must shave your orbs and spend 1 year in Nunavut without indoor plumbing, running water or heat. In a tent.

For further information, our lovely helper aka "Crow" will be glad to assist you any minute now. Just wait for her answer...