Do senior citizens agree that to have a longer life span you should get married? was on t.v. stating a study?

New study . What do you think?

Would you get married in order to live longer?

The study advised this for senior citizens too ...no matter the age.

LOL, Daisy, I saw that coming as soon as I posted it . I think so too, :)

S and Roxy: I had always heard that too and that is why this new study surprised me.

• daisy
    Favorite Answer

Actually Lona, you don't really live longer.......it just seems like it. HAHAHAHAHA

Seems like I've heard that before. It's probably very true, if it's not an unhappy marriage. Although it seems like in some marriages I know, they exist simply to egg each other on. My mom was married twice before she married my step dad (who I disliked for very good reasons, but that's another story), yet she remained married to him for over 40 years, and they fought and picked at each other all the time. And I think they needed each other. She wasn't in good health, he was 10 years older than she was, and I know darned well that he waited until she died so he felt he could die, too, because he wouldn't have to take care of her any more. He died three months after she did. She was 77 and he was 88. I think he just gave up and wanted to go.

• ?

My maternal grandparents were happily married and lived into their 90's. My parents were happily married and my mum lived to be 92, my dad, a lifelong heavy smoker, died at 80.

Wife and I are happily married and we're pretty sprightly.

For the cynics that think marriage is a punishment. Having been married 50 years we are still lovers in every sense of the word and both of us would love to be able to do it all over again.

• ROXY

The figures I heard state married men have longer life spans than single ones, and single women have longer life span than married ones.

I was married for 20 years. It seemed more like 40.

• Marcia

married people may tend to live longer but there are some who only think they do. every person is given a certain amount of time to accomplish what they are to do in this lifetime and when their time to leave this Plane of Existence is over, it is over and nothing can change this fact.

• jonds

No I do not believe that. I have seen many studies in my life the the studiers should all be fired.

• S

I heard one time it lengthens life for men, but shortens it for women. I think if you are content you would do well, but an unhappy marriage could be bad for your health.

A good marriage might extend your life ... a bad marriage will shorten it .