Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Needing help with the title of a children's book?

It was a book that I read in elementary school, and I can't seem to remember the name of it. It's about a little girl in Japan who finds out she has leukemia, and when she hears about the legend that If she can make a thousand orgami birds then she'll be cured. I think she died before she could, but I'd just really like to know the title of the book. Any help would be really appreciated.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr

"This true story is of a girl, Sadako Sasaki, who lived in Hiroshima at the time of the atomic bombing by the United States. She developed leukemia from the radiation and spent her time in a nursing home creating origami (folded paper) cranes in hope of making a thousand of them. She was inspired to do so by the Japanese legend that one who created a thousand origami cranes would then be granted a wish. Her wish was simply to live. However, she managed to fold only 644 cranes before she became too weak to fold any more, and died shortly after. Her friends and family helped finish her dream by folding the rest of the cranes, which were buried with Sadako. They also built a statue of Sadako holding a giant golden origami crane in Hiroshima Peace Park"

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Sadako and the 1000 Paper Cranes.

It's a really meaningful book. It's a moving tale which shows us the terrors of War.

• 8 years ago

There is a novel about that story by yasunari Kawabata and another by Eleanor coerr which is non-fiction. I think the girls name was Sadako Sasaki ,and the book, Sadako and the thousand paper cranes. Hope this helps if not I'm sorry!

Source(s): Family household bookshelf
  • 8 years ago

Hmm...if not mistaken, Sadako and the 1000 paper cranes.

I'm not sure if I got the spelling/title right, though :/

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

sadako and the 1000 cranes

• 8 years ago

Sadako and the 1000 cranes, I loved that book!

Mine plz? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Anh_c...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.