Why can't Atheists provide evidence for their Atheism?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

Below is an excerpt taken from www.atheists.org: (Boldface added for emphasis)

Atheism is a doctrine that states that nothing exists but natural phenomena (matter), that thought is a property or function of matter, and that death irreversibly and totally terminates individual organic units. This definition means that there are no forces, phenomena, or entities which exist outside of or apart from physical nature, or which transcend nature, or are “super” natural, nor can there be. Humankind is on its own.

The following definition of Atheism was given to the Supreme Court of the United States in the case of Murray v. Curlett, 374 U.S. 203, 83 S. Ct. 1560, 10 L.Ed.2d (MD, 1963), to remove reverential Bible reading and oral unison recitation of the Lord’s Prayer in the public schools.

“Your petitioners are Atheists and they define their beliefs as follows. An Atheist loves his fellow man instead of god. An Atheist believes that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth for all men together to enjoy.

An Atheist believes that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction, and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and enjoy it.

An Atheist

believes that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment.

He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man.

He wants an ethical way of life. He believes that we cannot rely on a god or channel action into prayer nor hope for an end of troubles in a hereafter.

He believes that we are our brother’s keepers; and are keepers of our own lives; that we are responsible persons and the job is here and the time is now.”

While many Atheists have an intense interest in religions, enjoy debating theists, and can intelligently discuss the various holy books (that’s debatable), Atheism can be discussed and celebrated for its own sake.

So don’t email me and say that Atheists have NO Beliefs.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Kid... you don't mind if I call you 'kid', do you?

Kid, it seems you don't understand what an atheist is...

No, no - don't claim you're a troll or Poe or that you're joking...

You're quite serious and you really have no idea.

Let me help you...

Theism = belief in gods - a religious position - NOT a religion.

Atheism = NO belief in gods - a religious position - NOT a religion.

There you go - it's an impossibility to supply evidence that there are no gods.

Just like it is impossible for you to prove your god/s exist.

Your question was truly pathetic - thanks for advertising on Yahoo ;)

~

• 7 years ago

If I tell you I'm an atheist then no evidence is needed. all I've told you is that I don't believe in any gods. I've made no claim that requires evidence. I've made no positive claim.

Why is this difficult to understand?

• Nous
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

post like yours do it for them!

Anti atheism is doing so much damage to Christianity that it is in reality anti Christianity – David Manley

It takes in reality only one to make a quarrel. It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion. - William Ralph Inge.

Why so blind to what causes the backlash against christianity?

ALL the other religions and atheists live in peace and are ONLY attacked by BAD christians which causes all GOOD christians to despair at the damage they do!

Up until about 40 years back Christianity was thriving and there was no conflict with others but in just those few short years the modern christians have become intolerant, hate filled, bigoted and persecuting resulting in a growing backlash against christianity and causing christianity to loose over ten percent in less than a decade with the loss accelerating!

The self destruction of Christianity is underway and the only thing that can stop it is to abandon the terrible human emotions, seek to rediscover the idea of a loving god and act like it!

Posts like yours that drive people further away from God are driving you towards hell.

So who are you working for the devil or the antichrist because it sure ain't the loving god!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Atheism isn't a belief system- it's us calling BS on your claim that gods exist. You have the Burden of Proof, sugar.

Why can't YOU provide evidence for your aleprechaunism?

• 3 years ago

it is the finished lack of ability of theists to verify their declare with evidence that finally legitimizes atheism. it is the believers, no longer the atheists, who bear the burden of evidence. A unfavorable fact (God does no longer exist.) can in no way be proved as a results of fact limitless unexamined selections, the place God might nevertheless be hidden, will consistently proceed to be to be inspected. a staggering fact (God does exist.) could desire to be logically proved, yet no believer has ever been able to grant verifiable evidence of God's existence, previous wishful Solipsistic thinking. The logical burden of evidence belongs to those that assert God is genuine, yet they have consistently did no longer substantiate their declare. to that end, their fact is fake and God has in no way been proved to exist. without verifiable evidence, superstitious perception is the worst of all a threat motives to settle for the impossible. American offender courts use precisely an identical good judgment. it is the burden of the Prosecution, who asserts that John Doe did the crime, to verify their accusation with convincing evidence. in the event that they are able to't try this, then the accused is considered no longer in charge, as a results of fact the very fact has no longer be substantiated with valid evidence. Atheism is precise and superb as a results of fact people who assert that God exists won't be able to substantiate their declare with convincing evidence. to that end, their unfounded fact is fake and God does no longer exist. Addendum: the muse of the undertaking is that maximum believers ascribe to out of date Solipsistic thinking and presume their subjective psychological stories certainly are genuine. maximum atheists comprehend that objective (actual) actuality exists independently of their ideas and that their subjective psychological stories are created by ability of their very own living ideas.

• 7 years ago

Why can't religious people provide evidence for invisible and imaginary friends?

No one can prove Santa Claus doesn't exist but no one can prove that he does either but do you believe in Santa Claus???

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You're an imbecile...

Do you believe every single Claim anyone can tell you about simply because you can't disprove them?

Alright there is an invisible, immaterial pink unicorn in your room and it will do dirty things to you at night unless you give all your money to charity right this second....

Well are you gonna do that simply because its impossible for you to disprove my nonsensical claim?

Of course not, and now you know why when you Claim "God did" or "God wants you to..." I say Prove it cause it sounds like a whole lot of BS to me!

• 7 years ago

Atheism is lack of belief in a god or gods. The Law of Parsimony and the Logical Inability to Prove a Negative are both in action for atheism making it the null hypothesis.

As such evidence must be presented for a god and without the evidence for a god, atheism is the most logical option.

• 7 years ago

Atheism does not require evidence. Atheism is the status quo before evidence is introduced concerning the supernatural. In other words, unless you provide evidence in a supernatural being, said supernatural being is presumed to not exist.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Atheism is not a belief system, it's just that we know your believe system is Gagaland.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.