Are you supposed to give 1/4 tsp baby food per day when starting solids at 6 months old?

1 article said to start with only 1/4 tsp a day, but every other source says different amounts.

I want what's best for my boy, does anybody actually know how much to give?

What would be a good thing to start with?

Favorite Answer

Remember that food before one is just for fun. It doesn't matter what amount you start with (or how much actually gets IN him!) for the first few months. He's just learning to sit at a table, use a spoon and bowl, and move his mouth differently than the bottle or breast requires.

I've never seen that little recommended. That was probably a mis-read on your part. It probably said 1/4 tsp for each mouthful. Most things recommend 1-2 tbs for first feedings.

• Marsha

I waited 6 months to start solids and he was so ready for them he wanted a full container of stage 2 baby foods from the first feeding. It is probably better to start slower than that but it's also important to follow the baby's lead. If he isn't very interested, don't force it. If he is crying for more, I wouldn't stop at 1/4 tsp.