What is a top quality reliable outdoor TV Antenna?

Ok, I dumped Directv and looking to go with just an ordinary TV antenna. My research finds the Spectrum AX969 and the Orca AX909G5 as a possible choice. Both of these come from California so I'm assuming they are CHINESE products. Does anyone have a suggestion as to whether or not these are junk or have potential? The Spectrum comes with one year of warranty and the Orca 3 years. Spectrum claims 150 mile radius and the Orca 100 mile radius. Research states earth curvature will only allow for up to 75 miles????? I have also read Channel master, Windguard, and a few others make decent antennas but nothing with the first two units range of operation........if it isn't bunk! I live in SW Florida where it's definitely flat, no obstructions like buildings close by tree lines etc. I checked a few web sites dedicated to antenna projections. They claim 82 stations are available in UHF and VHF all with a 100 mile range. Both the Spectrum and Orca have UHF-VHF-FM capabilities according to their specifications. Both have amplifiers and rotors. Any ideas????

Update:

I stated 82 stations all with a 100 mile radius...........I meant ot say WITHIN a 100 mile radius......some are as close as 30 miles tops!

Update 2:

I appreciate the input however, in this high tech revolution era I think the Channel master and Windgaurd era of 20' metal monstrocites are a little out dated. I was hoping to get some high tech input from an electronics engineer. ANY engineers out there that can lead me in the right direction???

Update 3:

I appreciate the input however, in this high tech revolution era I think the Channel master and Windgaurd era of 20' metal monstrocites are a little out dated. I was hoping to get some high tech input from an electronics engineer. ANY engineers out there that can lead me in the right direction???

8 Answers

Relevance
  • kg7or
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Agreed, your Spectrum and Orca choices are bottom-of-the-barrel. I like this Winegard series (below), and which one depends on your location. Run the first link with your local info, and that will help you decide which one of these is right for you. If the data shows receivable channels in multiple directions, be sure to add a rotor, which is separate.

If I needed to replace my antenna, this is exactly what I'd do.

Winegard models:

HD-7694P

HD-7695P

HD-7696P

HD-7697P

HD-7698P

===============================================

Per your Additional Details. Yes, there are some engineers out here. As to your comment: "I think the Channel master and Windgaurd era of 20' metal monstrocites are a little out dated." No, they are not. The problem is that you cannot change the laws of physics. The yagi antenna design (which is what you're referring to as monstrosities) is the most efficient configuration for home TV antennas. You cannot deliver a better signal-to-noise ratio (the ultimate goal of antenna design) to your TV tuner with any other design that (a) has to perform well over the entire North American broadcast TV frequency band, and (b) is remotely practical for installation at someone's home.

It's understandable that non-technical consumers in the 21st century would expect TV antenna design to advance like TVs themselves, but again you'd have to change the laws of physics. You have to understand that antenna design is limited by the radio frequencies allocated to TV transmission, and that has changed very little since the 1940s. Therefore, the same is true of antenna design. It's as simple as that.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is a top quality reliable outdoor TV Antenna?

Ok, I dumped Directv and looking to go with just an ordinary TV antenna. My research finds the Spectrum AX969 and the Orca AX909G5 as a possible choice. Both of these come from California so I'm assuming they are CHINESE products. Does anyone have a suggestion as to whether or not these are...

Source(s): top quality reliable outdoor tv antenna: https://shortly.im/3EyHE
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

150 Mile Tv Antenna

• 9 years ago

Both the Spectrum AX969 and the Orca AX909G5 are crap. Winegard & Channel Master are reliable & well made.

Here's the place for you to start: http://www.antennaweb.org/

You ARE hearing from electronics engineers. Even in this "high tech revolution era", the basics of terrestrial television reception have not changed, despite all the hype about "digital" antennas. There is no such thing as a digital as opposed to analog TV antenna.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

150 Mile Antenna

• 5 years ago

Well, you will only get local channels, and those that have the TV towers near your area....A weak signal = no reception.. If you get some good signals, all broadcasters are using 1080i, so it should look fine.

• khalil
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

american brands are better.......

go to.....transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps

enter your postal code you will see what channels there are on your roof.

for better reception ,antenna should be installed in the line of sight of tv tower .

• 9 years ago

Look for WineGuard. These have a pretty good reputation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.