Letter from Selective Service System saying I did not register when I did?

Hey guys so here my problem. A bit over two years ago, I signed up for the Selective Service while I was completing my financial aid for college. Well about a week ago, they sent me a letter saying that there is no record of me signing up for the service and wants me to complete this form and have it sent back to them or me to provide proof that I registered. The address on it was is:

Selective Service System

P.O. Box 94733

Palatine, IL 60094-4733

I was just wondering if this is the correct address and if anyone else ever received this letter before? I just thought it was a little fishy because I know you can register at the post office and I went there to ask and they gave me a different address and this address is also different than the one I found online. Also when I check on www.sss.gov about my selective service info, its all there so I dont understand why they would say that they do not have any records. I also tried to called them but I was on home for almost an hour before I gave it. So I am just wondering if anyone know what I should do. Thanks for your time and I will be looking forward to your insights.

Some of the things they wanted was my social security and they want me to make sure the address is correct. There is also a section for those who have already registered to provide their selective service number. It seems pretty legit with the website and correct phone number on it. But the only thing I am worried about is the address.

Best Answer

who wants proof you registered? the college, or the selective service folks?

http://www.vkblaw.com/sss/verify.htm

put in your social (not displayed), your last name, date of birth, and it will come back with your registration number. you can print that off and send THAT to whomever feels they need it (it blocks out all but your last 4) and can serve as 'proof'. i would black out the month and day of birth. the government already knows it. can't be too careful with identity theft.

this database has registration details going back to 1960. if your name does NOT come up, you can register at the same site.

DO NOT send any personnel info to that address !!!!!!!

The SSS lists the below address as the one to send to when registering by mail;

"BY MAIL

A young man may also register by filling out a Reminder Mailback Card. Selective Service sends this card to many young men around the time they turn 18. Mailback cards are also available at some post offices. A man can fill out the card at home and mail it directly to Selective Service.

Forms will be sent to:

Selective Service System, Registration Information Office, P.O. Box 94638, Palatine, IL 60094-4638."

what details are they asking for in this letter??

edit boats is right about NOT sending the letter back BUT I was wondering what they are asking for in the letter as to IF you should take the letter up the food chain and see if the DA / police etc would be interested in this matter.

Since you already verified your SSS status, throw the letter away. Sounds like a scam.

DO NOT give out your SSN!