Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

how much would it cost to respray my car a different colour?

I have an 8 year old commodore wagon which is white, it has a few scratches and nicks on the paintwork but no dints or rust, I want it painted light metallic purple. Any ideas on about how much this would cost? Someone told me it is harder to respray a white car is this true? It doesn't really make sense to me why it would be I would have thought a dark colour would be the hardest.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When you change a cars color it adds much more preparation and labor costs to the job. To do it properly you need to go as far as removing the engine to repaint the engine bay. All the door inner's will need to be prepped and painted along with any other areas of the car that are painted white.

Have a good look at your car and see how much of it is painted white and you'll see what I mean. Anywhere you see white paint will need to be painted in the new color.

The major cost of repainting a car is in the preparation of the job. Things like removing trim pieces, masking up, rubbing back, filling imperfections etc.

My boss had his 65 Mustang completely resprayed several years back. He stripped the entire car back to the shell, doors, suspension and wheels himself and I mean stripped it. Everything that could be removed was removed including the entire interior of the car. Surface preparation and painting by a reputable spray painter still cost him $6000. You could add another $1000 at least for metallic paint.

• side
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Respray Car Cost

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Car Respray

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

how much would it cost to respray my car a different colour?

I have an 8 year old commodore wagon which is white, it has a few scratches and nicks on the paintwork but no dints or rust, I want it painted light metallic purple. Any ideas on about how much this would cost? Someone told me it is harder to respray a white car is this true? It doesn't really...

Source(s): cost respray car colour: https://tr.im/l7z98
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Depending where you get it done, it ranges between 1600 to 2000. Always research and read the reviews about the body shops. Last thing you want is bubbling paint peeling off with the rain.

But generally anything below 1000, will suck.

EDIT:Also the difficulty of repainting a wagon shouldn't be something I would worry about. Just leave it to the body shops.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Informative answers, just what I was looking for.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.