Why do so many people neglect to spay or neuter their pets?

.

Yes, I know this is the wrong category, but simply looking at the following photos broke my heart and brought me to tears, so that makes this spiritual...

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/photographer-s-crusad...

Simple question.

"Why do so many people neglect to spay or neuter their pets?"

This simple act can help to avoid so many senseless deaths.

There is nothing gruesome at the link. What's so awful about all of this is that these pictures are hauntingly beautiful...

For those of you who don't do links, here's an excerpt:

"Photographer Tou Chih-kang has been recording the last moments of canines at the Taoyuan Animal Shelter in Taiwan for two years. He has captured the images of some 400 dogs, most of which were pets abandoned by their owners. To him the work is distressing, but he's trying to spread a message of responsibility."

.

I forgot to add... Many thanks for your answers, with no thumbs down from me.

{{{{{Froggy}}}}}

I would love to meet that Billy goat...

If I lived only 200 feet farther east, I could own goats.

You are correct that here in the US, there is no excuse for not choosing to spay and neuter.

Just last weekend, a local vet held a rabies clinic at the firehall up the street... There is no excuse for not attending. The vaccines were free.

Favorite Answer

Okay... neutering and spaying is only part of the problem. People get a pet and decided they don't want it. What do you suppose some of those people do? Some take the pet to a shelter, some just drop it by the side of the road, some move and leave the pet in the empty house and some put up ads to give them away.

When you take on a pet, it shouldn't be a choice to just dump it when you tire of it. If you have no choice, that's one thing, but many just decide they don't want a pet... after they have it.

People who think giving a pet as a gift... think about it. If someone really wants a pet, wouldn't they get one on their own? I have seen so many ads for pets needing homes because they were given as gifts and the people didn't want them or couldn't keep them.

Those stray dogs... they aren't strays because they weren't neutered or spayed. They're strays because they either got lost or were dumped and left to fend for themselves.

When you think about getting a pet, consider your circumstances.... renting means a harder time finding a place that allows pets or has an added fee... if you don't have a lot of money, can you afford to give that pet what it needs? If you take a pet, think of it more like a child... not just another thing you own and can get rid of later.

Spaying and neutering might help somewhat, but homeless pets has a lot more to do with irresponsible people not wanting to take care of the animals. Most strays once belonged somewhere.

You are aware that most of those dogs are strays that were born as strays, right? The northern part of Taiwan might have done a good job at eliminating strays, but the southern part of Taiwan still has TONS of them. So strays give birth to more strays.

I think the government should offer free spays and neuters which I think would genuinely bring down the number of dogs giving birth accidentally and then chucking out the puppies.

I think there's tons of GREAT pet owners in Taiwan who spay and neuter their pets, or keep them away from humping other dogs or being humped if they choose not to spay or neuter. I think as long as it's affordable, most sensible people would do it.

Twenty bucks says it's guys who are afraid their dogs wouldn't be a proper "man's dog" without gonads who are responsible for most of the problem.

The rest are idiots who don't know or don't care. I've known plenty of people who don't really interact with their pets; don't train their pets, don't socialize their pets -- pets are just animals that live in the backyard. Those are the people who don't spay and neuter.

• Sara

That was too sad, I couldn't look at them all.

Contrast that with the people who are able to get $1,000 for a Bulldog puppy in some markets.

People don't seem to have any sense when it comes to dogs.

I also feel sad when I see older animals being cast away, the old horse, the old dog, once the fun of owning them has faded.

Every branch of the Humane Society subsidizes spay/neuters and rabies shots - so in the U.S. there is no excuse.

(((((RedQueen))))

The only unaltered critters on my ranch are my goats. I got a big bad Billy...he thinks he owns the place :)

my dog is neutered, but I can understand the reluctance, you kind of think maybe you should give them a chance to spread their genes, kind of feels like you are playing God in a way. But given the over abundance of dogs in the world people should generally have them spayed or neutered.

• Craig

They don't care.

They don't like responsibility.

They're cheap.

They're just plain stupid. So stupid that they think animals are just things for their pleasure.

And so stupid that they don't know that a spayed or neutered animal makes a BETTER pet.

Same reason a good upstanding member of the community would sell another human being and separate her from her baby and husband.

Why do so many people not care about many important things? It's common, not OK, but common. .

COME ON DOOOWWWNNNNN!

Some people don't want to spend the money, or they have the dogs for breeding purposes.