Trying to buy a house how long does it take to build credit up?

So me and my husband are trying to finally buy a house instead of just renting an apartment but i have no credit at all N/A comes across all three credit bureaus n my husband is at a 600. i applied for a credit card with capital one n got approved for $500 so i know i can start off with that but how else can i... show more So me and my husband are trying to finally buy a house instead of just renting an apartment but i have no credit at all N/A comes across all three credit bureaus n my husband is at a 600. i applied for a credit card with capital one n got approved for $500 so i know i can start off with that but how else can i build up my credit? so that's my first question.....
second question. being that i have no credit and he is at a 600 and has to be at a 640 how long do you think it will take us to buy a house?? we just turned 22 so all of this real estate stuff is soo new to us.
Update: his credit is at a 600 because he has changed banks twice {he has never had a credit card before} and because there was an opened verizon bill that they said we never paid which we did in 2010 so we just got that cleared today. idk if it will help his credit being that we did pay it but we just got that cleared... show more his credit is at a 600 because he has changed banks twice {he has never had a credit card before} and because there was an opened verizon bill that they said we never paid which we did in 2010 so we just got that cleared today. idk if it will help his credit being that we did pay it but we just got that cleared out of the way today. he has also been working at the same job for 4 years and for me it will be one year. our lender said that if we reach 640 our intrest rate would be at a 3.6% n that we can also qualify for first time buyer programs!