Am I not a very good piano player?

I'm 16 and I have been playing piano for about a year and half. Just recently i have switched piano teacher in the realization that my previous piano teacher has really not taught me anything at all. The only thing I've learned is a ragtime piece by Zez Confrey, but even though it was a hard piece, I still feel like i can't read or count much better at all since I've started. I will mention that every teacher i have worked with (short term in the past as a kid) and even with my new, amazing teacher, I've been recognized as "very talented" and have received quite a lot of praise. My new teacher is much more strict and is already, after only one but long lesson, making me do much more difficult tasks. Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely euphoric about music and piano--i absolutely love piano with a passion---but, I'm not sure if its because my past teacher has had me for such a while on kids books and i feel (personally) an unsatisfactory progression, that I am kind of nervous and am scared that I won't live up to these new challenges.

So, basically, I'm just looking for a word of advice. I absolutely love music and piano--i'm listening to it constantly since i cannot play it--- but after, what i consider a redundant amount of absolute basic training, I feel very... insecure.

Favorite Answer

if you feel your old teacher was too simple, surely it's a good thing that you've switched to a more challenging one? if you don't play hard pieces you won't get better, that's a simple fact. if people have said you're talented, then you should be fine; the piano is easy, so once you get to a certain level, you can play pretty much anything. if you're feeling insecure, you just need to put that extra effort in and then you will have no reason to be insecure (i'm not saying you don't put effort in, but you can never practice too much). do lots of practice, prepare early for lessons to impress your new teacher and you'll be fine!!!

and this is the most important piece of advice i have: don't just play the pieces your teacher sets you: because i'm guessing they'll be standard romantic/classical/baroque pieces, which, whilst technically challenging, can often be pretty boring to play. search for the sheet music of songs you like online, or learn them by ear. this is how i got good at the piano, not from doing exams or grade pieces. play the songs you love, and you'll learn to really love the piano. it also gives you something to play to calm yourself down if you're getting frustrated at a more tradiitonal piece. and you could impress your teacher, if a situation arises where he/she asks if you have anything else you can play. don't do it so much that the standard of your other music slips, but just a little bit so you have something you can fall back on to. and if you already do this, then haha sorry for sounding so patronising!

good luck, you'll be fine. just man up and go for it! you'll never improve if you don't take on anything new...

I agree with what Wayne T said about your assuming you know more than you do, but I think that if you're teacher is giving you too much you shouldn't quit on him because you'll probably learn a lot more. You said he's an amazing teacher so why quit? If he's giving you a lot and pushing you hard, that's a good thing. My teacher pushes me really hard, and I've improved a lot because of it. But, if it's too much to realistically handle, you're getting too stressed out, or you haven't yet learned what he's expecting you to already know, you need to just tell him that it's too much. Tell him what you do and don't know and what you need help with, and I'm sure you'll get the help you need. But don't give up if it's your passion.

Good luck!

There is no way we can make any kind of judgement from your descriptions. The only way to tell if an instrumentalist is any good or not is to HEAR them play.